Roof bars

I think the VW ones are made by Omtec. I bought Omtec part no 7522930B from Ebay. There are matching roof bars/rails too.

Pete
Hi. Just took delivery of some of these but there are no instructions. Probably easy to fit but I always like to have instructions to look at. Would anyone know where I can get hold these online?

Thanks.

I don’t remember getting any instructions. It’s as simple as lining them up with the existing holes in the roof channels, and bolting them in place.

You need to get the orientation of the plastic “plinths” sorted.

You also need to use lots of silicon sealant not just on the new bolt threads, but also around the bolts themselves, as they go into semi captive nuts which themselves have gaps around them.

Pete

Got Banwy rails to go on the lwb SCA roof, with Thule wing bars, not yet fitted.

Question for the scientifically minded: the bars are aerodynamic, ie roughly wing shaped. Wings create lift, not ideal on a roof, trailing edge to the front would be like a rear wing on a performance car, so which way should we really be fitting these, or are they so small in area not to bother with?

I don’t remember getting any instructions. It’s as simple as lining them up with the existing holes in the roof channels, and bolting them in place.

You need to get the orientation of the plastic “plinths” sorted.

You also need to use lots of silicon sealant not just on the new bolt threads, but also around the bolts themselves, as they go into semi captive nuts which themselves have gaps around them.

Pete
Hi Pete. Just a quick question about applying silicone. When fitting, I get the plinths lined up and position the roof bar over them. When I then put in the bolts are you saying that I apply silicone pretty much all over each bolt except the top of it or even on the top? I assume you’ve got a couple of minutes from applying it to then fixing down the bolt. Thanks.

I seem to remember putting sealant around the hole in the roof, then into the hole in the plinth, then onto the bolt thread before I put it in.

I think I used clear silicon sealant which never truly sets, but was pretty solid in a couple hours. I also recall doing a trial fit without sealant, because there was a knack to getting the bolts lined up with the threads they screwed into.

Pete

Question for the scientifically minded: the bars are aerodynamic, ie roughly wing shaped. Wings create lift, not ideal on a roof, trailing edge to the front would be like a rear wing on a performance car, so which way should we really be fitting these, or are they so small in area not to bother with?
I would say the lift is just zero if installed properly (angle=0). Putting trailing edge to the front would create extra vorteces at the bulgy edge which would build up to (even possibly) audible noise. The noise would be my concern.
Nice tool to play with simplified aerodynamics at FoilSim III Student Version 1.5a beta
In the attached simulation speed 160km/h, span 2.0m, chord 8 cm, thickness 1.6 cm. Air pressure 101kPa (=at about sea level), temperature 15 C, etc...
Lift_vs_angle_2.JPG

Back