Roof bars with VW prep kit

boxer750

VIP Member
T6 Pro
The things you learn on your first van..

I ordered my van with roof bar prep kit...

(One of the few accessories i requested that they DID fit. :rolleyes: )

So. does this mean if i want roofbars I have to buy the original VW items?? By bars I mean the ones going along the van not crossbars..

Pete

Front to back are normally referred to as roof-rails. Side to side (within the rails) are normally referred to as roof-bars.
Wider bars that sit over the rails are normally referred to as cross-bars.

This post suggests you won’t be able to fit roof-rails within your roof-bar prep rail.

Thanks for telling me :)
I wanted rails, to fit bars, so apart from the styling.. guess its the same..
Does anyome know of makes that fit the prep kit.. or is it VW all the way?

Does anyome know of makes that fit the prep kit.. or is it VW all the way?
Thule -

Advice needed please …
Can someone recommend a roof bar or roof rail to fit my T6.1, I have solar panels fitted, so the bars must be free fitting and not fit to a rail.

Due to my solar panels I need cross bars to carry a kayak, can anyone advise please

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Cheers
Olly

Advice needed please …
Can someone recommend a roof bar or roof rail to fit my T6.1, I have solar panels fitted, so the bars must be free fitting and not fit to a rail.

Due to my solar panels I need cross bars to carry a kayak, can anyone advise please

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Cheers
Olly
Do you have roof bar prep fittings already installed?

Do you have roof bar prep fittings already installed?
The bolt heads are visible in the channels to fix rails but due to the Thule side tent and solar panels I would need 3 cross bars with high legs because side rails will not fit …..
I've got a 2019 LWB T6.1

I have 5 bolts accessible on drivers side and 3 bolts accessible on tent side. Need 75mm clearance to underside of crossbar.
I would like to fit 2 crossbars over cab and 1 crossbar at rear of solar panels.
Any suggestions would be appreciated
Olly

07D0CF16-5FCA-4CA7-8F7D-C8E723EFE1C7.jpeg

27FF0BDC-0364-4884-ABCE-07004E19543B.jpeg

D72BEA3C-F1F0-480D-9FE9-72ACAEF856AB.jpeg

6E9FEA97-C5A1-460A-B9C2-4CC93ABA2DAC.jpeg

Are the pics below the roof bar prep fittings you’re talking about ?
No - you have nothing fitted, only the bolts to prevent water ingress.

You have two choices - you can either fit roof rails and then fit roof bars to that, or fit roof prep fittings and then add roof bars that way.

See this post for roof bar prep.

I've just fitted OMTEC roof rails and going off your pics these wouldn't be an option for you due to the location of the solar panels.
Hope you find an alternative solution.

Hi

Me again. Have a 6.1 kombi high line swb.

Had factory roof rail prep fitted just trying to find some roof rails to go on there now.

Will these work?

Thanks

I have roof prep and as far as I know there are no roof rails that fit. They are designed for normal roof bars across the roof that can be slided to any desired position. If you want rails like the attached you would need to remove the roof prep and block up the additional mounting holes that are not required.

I have roof prep and as far as I know there are no roof rails that fit. They are designed for normal roof bars across the roof that can be slided to any desired position. If you want rails like the attached you would need to remove the roof prep and block up the additional mounting holes that are not required.
Thanks, that’s a pain

I want roof rails as in just the parallel ones for looks but I have roof bar prep can I still have them

The ‘typical’ rails won’t fit with the factory roof prep (the channels you have on your van). Every set I’ve seen require the roof to be re drilled, and for the roof prep to not be present.

(I found your post as I was searching for someone selling the roof prep channels)

It can be done, we have the Roof Prep and standard VW (Omtec) longitudinal rails. The roof prep takes 20x20mm T-track bolts so you can fix anything to them, Thule feet etc. I got a local fabricator to make up some stainless steel bolts and rails fitted straight on.

E13DDA7C-A99C-4BC5-95B7-20C10E8A45EA.jpeg

Back