Roof bars, boxes and other external storage solutions

If you need extra space, you need extra space but I’d be sure you do need all the stuff you plan to put in it. We find that, generally, the lighter the better and have done many multi-week roadtrips with two adults and three children. This is a LWB though.

We use a roof box for overseas longer trips. Out of reach of thieving hands, and didnt affect fuel consumption too badly. Probably the cheapest option too if you have roof bars.

Pete

We tow a trailer and love the extra space. It has a hardtop and is lockable so acts as storage when we are away from the camp site. If you do get one, make sure it has 13inch wheels as this makes it so much easier to tow and maneuver around the site. You can also add the rails to the trailer to carry bicycles.

IMG_20200716_210443_561.jpg

I got a trailer last year after trying to carry too much stuff around Spain & France the year before - as Seannee says defo go for bigger wheels. Certainly the Erde 122 in the first post is probably too small (8" wheels).

We got an Erde 143 with 10" wheels which was great around Spain last year. I was towing with a 2.0 petrol Peugeot Boxer though (actually did better than I expected but many, many gear changes especially in the mountains). This year will have the T6, 'only' a 102 but will be much better. Bought the Erde as someone locally was selling it as almost new for a good price and I have a garage I can store it in (stores on its end for space saving).

Pros:
No tripping over stuff, having to decant the van of stuff every time you stop, want to make lunch, overnight etc
Can take all the toys, all the bikes, inflatable kayak, big awning, surfboard etc.
Good 'base' for the campsite/reserves your space/ can lock bikes etc to it

Cons:
Lower speed limits
Fuel economy
Reversing (much harder with a smaller trailer)
Take more stuff with you all the toys, all the bikes, inflatable kayak, big awning, surfboard etc.
Need an extra lock/trailer clamp.
More risky (theft from trailer) if stopping abroad at Aires etc

Overall I like it. I don't really mind towing it (especially when abroad) and certainly don't notice its there. That said, there have been a few times in narrow Devon lanes where I'm praying I don't meet anyone and they expect me to reverse (not that I normally mind reversing, but as I said small trailers don't do reverse!)

I do keep looking at towball boxes though for those times I don't want to tow........

We tow a trailer and love the extra space. It has a hardtop and is lockable so acts as storage when we are away from the camp site. If you do get one, make sure it has 13inch wheels as this makes it so much easier to tow and maneuver around the site. You can also add the rails to the trailer to carry bicycles.

View attachment 79312
Trailers are great as long as you remember to wind the jockey wheel up before driving off!!!

Go for the trailer option in my view - but not necessarily the Erde. I looked at this years ago when I got fed up trying to cram everything into the car and a roof box - only to find the wife had put another three bags in the hall when I thought I'd just got everything in - and we were only going off for the weekend! We ended up picking up a second hand Brenderup with a hard top and roof bars. We put 4 Thule bike carriers on this and then kept all the camping gear in it, and it's been brilliant. The Brenderup has suspension, unlike the Erde, and towing it is a breeze. It's also small enough to unhitch and manhandle, even fully loaded and with the bikes on top, so manoeuvring in tight spaces isn't an issue. It's been a boon for shifting other stuff around - furniture for instance - and also trips to the tip. I've got a separate Atera Strada tow ball mounted bike rack for when we want to take bikes but not the camping gear. Now I'm about to get my T6 camper at last, I'm weighing up whether to keep the trailer.

I have the exact same thing.. a Brenderup 1250 i think it is. Its been bullet proof i bought it second hand (almost new to be fair) and its been faultless been all over with us. I did look at the ERDE trailers but just couldnt bring myself to buy one.

I now have a t5 with a tow bar, and the trailer... still gets used for tip runs, furniture, collecting sheet materials etc... I love it!
:)

I use a small lightweight trailer when on extended trips, it takes weight off the rear axle. I try to resist loading it up just because I have more space. The lid is lockable and our bikes fit on a rack on the draw bar. Its great but I live in Oz so don't know how practical it is in the Uk.293.jpg347.jpg

It's become more and more apparent that I'm outgrowing the T6 and need to move to something bigger, but I'm really not that keen on any of the alternatives that I've been considering (as well as having to splash out another £20-40k on top of the T6 which is not very sensible when I'm a year or 2 away from early retirement) so I'm trying to find a way that would let me stick with my current van by moving stuff that clutters up the inside of the van, to the outside.

I've looked at possibly fastening a box to the Fiamma bike rack, but it's only a 2 bike model and I would still want to be able to put a bike on as well, which would only leave 30cm behind. Plus it would have to be quickly removable to allow me to get the bike off.

As for roof bars, would this channel in my roof be able to have roof bars mounted in it, maybe with T nuts or something like that, or would the roof have to be drilled as well?
IMG_2293.JPG
If I can fit roof bars without drilling then that could be a possible solution as I could then use a roof box, obviously less convenient than on the back but would allow me to move the less frequently needed stuff into it. I'm also thinking of changing to a proper kayak from an inflatable so presumably would allow me to put that up there? I'm aware that some of these options would cover the solar panel but that wouldn't really be much of a problem.

Is there any other possibility that I haven't considered, other than a trailer, that could let me stay a T6 owner?

Regarding roof boxes, I spotted one on a camper van today positioned at the back of the roof and mounted transverse. I expect this was so the opening side was at the back of the van so the owner could step up to get in the box with the doors open.

No good with a tailgate but makes you think about the best side for the lid hinges so you can step up on the sliding door step.

My own solution ( see photo) bikes go on top...plus camping gear more space in van ...next year project

4C0A9AA9-B717-49A9-9CCF-86DD7D620D6F.jpeg

Not for me, I don't want to be lugging a trailer around
Umm I know...but if I get a roof rack ( not got pop top ) the bikes would be very high up ..plus mines a SWB and the vans already bulging..also we might get into paddle boarding and the trailer would take them plus the bikes and somewhere to hang the solar panels..but it’s not for everyone ..looked at tow bar mounts but they have some issues...then I thought Crafter...wife said F**k Off :laugh:

hope you find your answers ;)

ps the extra height a roof rack uses ..stops you shopping at Tesco’s

Umm I know...but if I get a roof rack ( not got pop top ) the bikes would be very high up ..plus mines a SWB and the vans already bulging..also we might get into paddle boarding and the trailer would take them plus the bikes and somewhere to hang the solar panels..but it’s not for everyone ..looked at tow bar mounts but they have some issues...then I thought Crafter...wife said F**k Off :laugh:

hope you find your answers ;)

ps the extra height a roof rack uses ..stops you shopping at Tesco’s
Yeah mines a SWB too, I'd keep the tailgate rack for the bike, just looking at getting things like wetsuit, kayak, cooking stuff, dirty clothes etc out of the van to leave more living space.

It wouldn't stop me shopping at Tesco, no height barriers at the ones round here, but I wouldn't be seen dead in the place anyway! It would stop me getting the van in the garage though, there's only 60-70mm spare as it is, so I would only put the roof bars on for long camping trips.

Still would like to know if anyone can tell me whether those tracks are all I'd need to fit a roof rack..?

Depending on what your conversion is like, you could move some of the stuff out of the cupboards to make room?
You could look into mounting under the van ( "underslung" ):
leisure battery
Clean + grey water tanks
Small lpg tank to replace gas bottle

Only other options I can think of is adding extra locker cabinets (above sink, above bed)

Depending on what your conversion is like, you could move some of the stuff out of the cupboards to make room?
You could look into mounting under the van ( "underslung" ):
leisure battery
Clean + grey water tanks
Small lpg tank to replace gas bottle

Only other options I can think of is adding extra locker cabinets (above sink, above bed)
Thanks, the cupboard space I have is fine, it’s more to move large cumbersome stuff out of the way. My water tanks are underslung and battery and all electrics under drivers seat.
I think I’m going to have to face the inevitable and go bigger, all the other actions I can think of all come with big compromises. I wish I had the money to keep this in addition to buying a larger one as there are some trips when the T6 is fine and I’ll be very sad to see it go, but I don’t. Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Keep high level bike rack for bikes. Fit a towbar and mount a second bike rack below. Fit a box on the lower rack, perhaps. Managed to fit 3 snowboards and boots in this when touring Europe. Access to tailgate with the tilt me mechanism too.

20191006_183822.jpg

20190515_165406.jpg

20190515_165210.jpg

Keep high level bike rack for bikes. Fit a towbar and mount a second bike rack below. Fit a box on the lower rack, perhaps. Managed to fit 3 snowboards and boots in this when touring Europe. Access to tailgate with the tilt me mechanism too.

View attachment 85280

View attachment 85281

View attachment 85282
Oh now that is something that hadn’t occurred to me, have both! I’m going to look into this, it could well be the answer I’m looking for. I’d need to see if I could shift some of the internal luggage towards the front to improve the weight distribution though, I’m used to having all the weight central and this would shift a lot behind the rear axle. How do you find the handling when you’re fully laden like that with bikes too?

Sorry just noticed you don’t have a tailgate rack as well so ignore that bit. Don’t know why I can’t edit on my phone now.

Back