Roof bars, boxes and other storage solutions

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
It's become more and more apparent that I'm outgrowing the T6 and need to move to something bigger, but I'm really not that keen on any of the alternatives that I've been considering (as well as having to splash out another £20-40k on top of the T6 which is not very sensible when I'm a year or 2 away from early retirement) so I'm trying to find a way that would let me stick with my current van by moving stuff that clutters up the inside of the van, to the outside.

I've looked at possibly fastening a box to the Fiamma bike rack, but it's only a 2 bike model and I would still want to be able to put a bike on as well, which would only leave 30cm behind. Plus it would have to be quickly removable to allow me to get the bike off.

As for roof bars, would this channel in my roof be able to have roof bars mounted in it, maybe with T nuts or something like that, or would the roof have to be drilled as well?
IMG_2293.JPG
If I can fit roof bars without drilling then that could be a possible solution as I could then use a roof box, obviously less convenient than on the back but would allow me to move the less frequently needed stuff into it. I'm also thinking of changing to a proper kayak from an inflatable so presumably would allow me to put that up there? I'm aware that some of these options would cover the solar panel but that wouldn't really be much of a problem.

Is there any other possibility that I haven't considered, other than a trailer, that could let me stay a T6 owner?

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Regarding roof boxes, I spotted one on a camper van today positioned at the back of the roof and mounted transverse. I expect this was so the opening side was at the back of the van so the owner could step up to get in the box with the doors open.

No good with a tailgate but makes you think about the best side for the lid hinges so you can step up on the sliding door step.

VanDamMan

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Not for me, I don't want to be lugging a trailer around
Umm I know...but if I get a roof rack ( not got pop top ) the bikes would be very high up ..plus mines a SWB and the vans already bulging..also we might get into paddle boarding and the trailer would take them plus the bikes and somewhere to hang the solar panels..but it’s not for everyone ..looked at tow bar mounts but they have some issues...then I thought Crafter...wife said F**k Off :laugh:

hope you find your answers ;)

ps the extra height a roof rack uses ..stops you shopping at Tesco’s

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Umm I know...but if I get a roof rack ( not got pop top ) the bikes would be very high up ..plus mines a SWB and the vans already bulging..also we might get into paddle boarding and the trailer would take them plus the bikes and somewhere to hang the solar panels..but it’s not for everyone ..looked at tow bar mounts but they have some issues...then I thought Crafter...wife said F**k Off :laugh:

hope you find your answers ;)

ps the extra height a roof rack uses ..stops you shopping at Tesco’s
Yeah mines a SWB too, I'd keep the tailgate rack for the bike, just looking at getting things like wetsuit, kayak, cooking stuff, dirty clothes etc out of the van to leave more living space.

It wouldn't stop me shopping at Tesco, no height barriers at the ones round here, but I wouldn't be seen dead in the place anyway! It would stop me getting the van in the garage though, there's only 60-70mm spare as it is, so I would only put the roof bars on for long camping trips.

Still would like to know if anyone can tell me whether those tracks are all I'd need to fit a roof rack..?

welshvanman

Depending on what your conversion is like, you could move some of the stuff out of the cupboards to make room?
You could look into mounting under the van ( "underslung" ):
leisure battery
Clean + grey water tanks
Small lpg tank to replace gas bottle

Only other options I can think of is adding extra locker cabinets (above sink, above bed)

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Depending on what your conversion is like, you could move some of the stuff out of the cupboards to make room?
You could look into mounting under the van ( "underslung" ):
leisure battery
Clean + grey water tanks
Small lpg tank to replace gas bottle

Only other options I can think of is adding extra locker cabinets (above sink, above bed)
Thanks, the cupboard space I have is fine, it’s more to move large cumbersome stuff out of the way. My water tanks are underslung and battery and all electrics under drivers seat.
I think I’m going to have to face the inevitable and go bigger, all the other actions I can think of all come with big compromises. I wish I had the money to keep this in addition to buying a larger one as there are some trips when the T6 is fine and I’ll be very sad to see it go, but I don’t. Time to buy a lottery ticket.

Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Keep high level bike rack for bikes. Fit a towbar and mount a second bike rack below. Fit a box on the lower rack, perhaps. Managed to fit 3 snowboards and boots in this when touring Europe. Access to tailgate with the tilt me mechanism too.

20191006_183822.jpg

20190515_165406.jpg

20190515_165210.jpg

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Keep high level bike rack for bikes. Fit a towbar and mount a second bike rack below. Fit a box on the lower rack, perhaps. Managed to fit 3 snowboards and boots in this when touring Europe. Access to tailgate with the tilt me mechanism too.

View attachment 85280

View attachment 85281

View attachment 85282
Oh now that is something that hadn’t occurred to me, have both! I’m going to look into this, it could well be the answer I’m looking for. I’d need to see if I could shift some of the internal luggage towards the front to improve the weight distribution though, I’m used to having all the weight central and this would shift a lot behind the rear axle. How do you find the handling when you’re fully laden like that with bikes too?

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Sorry just noticed you don’t have a tailgate rack as well so ignore that bit. Don’t know why I can’t edit on my phone now.

Dieseldonkey

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Oh now that is something that hadn’t occurred to me, have both! I’m going to look into this, it could well be the answer I’m looking for. I’d need to see if I could shift some of the internal luggage towards the front to improve the weight distribution though, I’m used to having all the weight central and this would shift a lot behind the rear axle. How do you find the handling when you’re fully laden like that with bikes too?
I've had the van loaded with a fair bit of kit and four bikes on the rack too. Even so I've never suffered from a saggy bum. It is however, a T32. Have the advantage that the rock and roll bed is on rails, so can be moved to mid ships. Yet to have any nasty surprises with the handling or vagueness. Other than uprated H&R anti roll bars, the suspension is standard T32 Shuttle. Im guessing the weight of a two bike tailgate mounted rack with two bikes would on board, would be in the region of 40 to 50kg, depending on the bikes. Here's an older pic with full camper conversion and 4 bikes on the rack, albeit road bikes. But reckon my arse end is still looking....pert, even at this load.

20181012_152436.jpg

Last edited:

Dieseldonkey

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Sorry just noticed you don’t have a tailgate rack as well so ignore that bit. Don’t know why I can’t edit on my phone now.
Forgot to add, if its android, click on the 3 little dots and down arrow symbol, next to the 'Report' button, at bottom left of your post. Hopefully that'll reveal the 'edit' button.

20200916_214053.jpg

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Forgot to add, if its android, click on the 3 little dots and down arrow symbol, next to the 'Report' button, at bottom left of your post. Hopefully that'll reveal the 'edit' button.

View attachment 85327
Thanks you’re absolutely right :thumbsup: It’s iOS but I was baffled why the Edit option was there on my iPad but not on my phone. Should have looked a bit better.

andys

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've had the van loaded with a fair bit of kit and four bikes on the rack too. Even so I've never suffered from a saggy bum. It is however, a T32. Have the advantage that the rock and roll bed is on rails, so can be moved to mid ships. Yet to have any nasty surprises with the handling or vagueness. Other than uprated H&R anti roll bars, the suspension is standard T32 Shuttle. Im guessing the weight of a two bike tailgate mounted rack with two bikes would on board, would be in the region of 40 to 50kg, depending on the bikes. Here's an older pic with full camper conversion and 4 bikes on the rack, albeit road bikes. But reckon my arse end is still looking....pert, even at this load.

View attachment 85319
Mine‘s a T28 but I’d probably get it replated as a T30 if I’m going to be carrying more. My slight concern is that with a rear kitchen, cupboards, gas locker and water tanks, the weight would be excessively rear biased. Just need to replace the leisure battery with a lighter lithium one and I’ll be pointing up like a drag car :D At least my RIB seat is forward of the centre, which is the heaviest item. I’d have to go and get the corners weighed as well as the individual axles.