Riviera RF108 wheels… what tyres???

JamieMK

Hi,
Can anyone help me??
Advice please, I am new to the transporter world and know absolutely nothing other than I love them !!
I have finally taken ownership of my long awaited T32 6.1 kombi.... I will be sticking some b14's on to lower around 40mm and some 20" Riviera RF108 wheels, before I get grilled, I do know these wheels are 10kg short of my load rating, but as I will not be putting anything heavy in the back I am willing to go with these wheels, staggered at 8.5 fronts and 10 at the rear. But I have been blown away by the hugely confusing tyre situation. Someone recommended yokohama advan sports which I like the look of, but putting the same size tyres on the front and back does not make sense to me, bulging tyre wall on front looks a bit sh#t any ideas or advice please on what size tyres to go for ????

Kind regards

A very confused Jamie.

Those sizes are near enough the exact same diameter. 245/45/20 are available in 103 load rating so ok for a T32, and the 275/40/20 will be 106 rated so plenty

1C461C6E-1F66-4815-910F-0F355D4EC83B.png

99% of the time would be fine. If you were unfortunately in a serious accident then an insurance company would look for any loophole possible

I’ve got same width wheels and run 275/40/20 rear and 245/45/20 fronts. Changing the fronts not only got rid of that bulge it also made the van corner better, set off more easily and the steering is much lighter and smoother.

I’ve got same width wheels and run 275/40/20 rear and 245/45/20 fronts. Changing the fronts not only got rid of that bulge it also made the van corner better, set off more easily and the steering is much lighter and smoother.
What's the reason in running 45's on the front and not 40's same as the rear, please educate me as I am new to all this !!

The 40 or 45 is the Percentage of the width. so 45% of 245 is 110.25mm sidewall. 40% of 275 is 110mm sidewall

What's the reason in running 45's on the front and not 40's same as the rear, please educate me as I am new to all this !!
As @Sharpe expains the profile is not an actual measurement in units, so in my case the 40 rear and 45 front are the same profile in mm.
Not necessarily a problem if you don’t have a 4motion (which I do have)

Back