Rigid solar panel weight on poptop

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hello all!

I'm having second thoughts on my 'free' solar panel I'm thinking of mounting to the West Dubs pop top of my van.
It's rather large and weight just under 20Kg and measures 1000 x 1,700mm. (345W)

I was OK with the plan, remove the old broken Flexi-solar panel, (140W) and replace with this and a larger MPPT.

However, now my wife has put doubts in my mind and thinks it will be too big.
Actually, I'm not worried about size :rolleyes: It's really the effect it will have on the pop top as additional weight, (which includes lifting and lowering).

Any thoughts or experiences you can share?

Thanks
Ollie

tempImageZHjdi4.jpg

Sell it and get a flexi panel
I had a Flexi-panel that cost an arm and a leg, it lasted just over a year.
They look neat, are light weight but I was stuck over the summer without any solar and had to rely on shore power, (which I detest).
tempImagemJGHQ4.jpg

@OllieGBR. You haven't given the dimensions nor how you plan to fix it to the roof but to my [very] simple mind, it just looks humungous, probably too humungous and also perhaps even a bit too heavy for the roof struts (have you consulted WestDubs? From my personal experience, they're very good people to deal with). If I was you, I'd stick with a good quality modern flexible panel - if you was happy with your previous 140W one then you should be ecstatic with something in the 170 - 200W region. That said, what do I know, the last flexible panel that I had stuck to my roof went flying on a French motorway and I'm going to get another one stuck on in the very near futur).

HI I recently replaced one with a flexi one ,because they where having trouble pushing the roof up due to the extra weight ,they had it fitted in the middle good luck

@OllieGBR. You haven't given the dimensions nor how you plan to fix it to the roof but to my [very] simple mind, it just looks humungous, probably too humungous and also perhaps even a bit too heavy for the roof struts (have you consulted WestDubs? From my personal experience, they're very good people to deal with). If I was you, I'd stick with a good quality modern flexible panel - if you was happy with your previous 140W one then you should be ecstatic with something in the 170 - 200W region. That said, what do I know, the last flexible panel that I had stuck to my roof went flying on a French motorway and I'm going to get another one stuck on in the very near futur).
Thanks Ayjay - The panel is 20KGs and 1m x 1.7m.
I share the same concern with the roof struts not being able to hold up the additional weight.

I'm planning on using the PV Solar mounts in black;
Aero mounts

Screwing these to two sets of the mounts, (cutting to size), and then bonding the whole thing to the pop top.

The 140W was 'OK' in terms of functionality, but to be off-grid I need a little more power:)

HI I recently replaced one with a flexi one ,because they where having trouble pushing the roof up due to the extra weight ,they had it fitted in the middle good luck
Thanks Spook
According to the West-Dubs specification;
  • Roof load capacity for roof racks 45-50kg

I would assume the top could then accommodate 20KGs?

@spook makes a good point about the position. Closer to the pop top hinge and struts may make the lift easier.
As for the capacity I'd imagine that's with the roof down? 50kg on top of the roof weight would need some pretty hefty gas struts.

OK, I’m convinced to ditch the overly large solar panel idea then. Back to the drawing board.

I would like to have the whole camper roof covered in solar if I could, (I have 10KW of solar on my house roof).
I’ll look at options and always welcome ideas from the forum members!!
Sounds like flexible solar mounted correctly, (I think mine wasn’t and therefore failed) is the way forward!

Thanks
Ollie.

I have a 250w flexi on my roof - no issues yet. Just bought a 100w renogy flexi as an additional panel to power my beer fridge. Will keep in pop top when not in use - perfect storage solution. ;) also have a 200w renogy suitcase panel which I haven’t used yet. The plan for that is to connect it to the leisure system - and point at the sun - if I want the van in the shade.

Hello all!

I'm having second thoughts on my 'free' solar panel I'm thinking of mounting to the West Dubs pop top of my van.
It's rather large and weight just under 20Kg and measures 1000 x 1,700mm. (345W)

I was OK with the plan, remove the old broken Flexi-solar panel, (140W) and replace with this and a larger MPPT.

However, now my wife has put doubts in my mind and thinks it will be too big.
Actually, I'm not worried about size :rolleyes: It's really the effect it will have on the pop top as additional weight, (which includes lifting and lowering).

Any thoughts or experiences you can share?

Thanks
Ollie

View attachment 134035
Looks OTT to me. What are you running to need all that power? What Leisure battery do you have?

I have a 250w flexi on my roof - no issues yet. Just bought a 100w renogy flexi as an additional panel to power my beer fridge. Will keep in pop top when not in use - perfect storage solution. ;) also have a 200w renogy suitcase panel which I haven’t used yet. The plan for that is to connect it to the leisure system - and point at the sun - if I want the van in the shade.
Where did you get your 250W flexi from?? That would work!!

Looks OTT to me. What are you running to need all that power? What Leisure battery do you have?
Hey @Salty Spuds - I have a water heater, diesel heater, shower for cleaning my bike and kit etc…. Plus I want to be self sufficient and not rely on shore power.
This is all connected to a 100AH LiFePO4 battery. I know I’m asking much from a small van!!!

Hey @Salty Spuds - I have a water heater, diesel heater, shower for cleaning my bike and kit etc…. Plus I want to be self sufficient and not rely on shore power.
This is all connected to a 100AH LiFePO4 battery. I know I’m asking much from a small van!!!
FWIW I think a 180-200W panel will be fine for your needs. The 345 panel will be chucking out more power than you can store, it isn't a balanced system. On the other hand, if you were to add another Lithium battery, it might look more sensible. But you will just be storing power that you don't need. We have a 180W panel with a 90Ah Lithium & we've never run out of juice. I've done trips where I've run 2 fridges, lights, music, heater & still only run the battery down to 60% overnight. The battery has been charged back upto 100% by lunchtime the next day.

Correction, ours is a 155W panel

Hi, I have been looking into the pros and cons of flexi vs rigid and thought i would go down the ridged solar panel route, due to the longevity of a rigid panel. However i will also be getting a poptop shortly and the weight issue has caught me off guard so to say. Has anyone fitted a rigid panel? Can you upgrade the struts to take more weight?
I will be fitting a Skyline poptop in the very near future. I spoke with them and they state they do not support rigid panels and supply flexi panel only but upto a weight of 7.2kg( 2 150w panels max)

Any advice would be fantastic

Thanks

Daniel

Hi, I have been looking into the pros and cons of flexi vs rigid and thought i would go down the ridged solar panel route, due to the longevity of a rigid panel. However i will also be getting a poptop shortly and the weight issue has caught me off guard so to say. Has anyone fitted a rigid panel? Can you upgrade the struts to take more weight?
I will be fitting a Skyline poptop in the very near future. I spoke with them and they state they do not support rigid panels and supply flexi panel only but upto a weight of 7.2kg( 2 150w panels max)

Any advice would be fantastic

Thanks

Daniel
I’ve recently fitted a rigid to my pop top.
It’s only 100w and weighs about 7kg.
I already had roof rails so I fitted it to some roof cross bars close to the rear of the top and it didn’t affect the deployment of the roof using the original struts.AF131CD9-602D-475A-83B8-83BA5B9D13FC.jpeg

Ok nice! Yeah I’m looking at a 350w which comes in at , I think 18.5kg. Maybe I am just over cooking the wattage.
Thanks
Daniel

Back