Ride height with adjustable Coilovers

elrao

Hi

I've decided to have the Eibach Coilovers fitted as the dealer is giving me a great deal (to make up for some appalling service in the past)! I just need to advise how low I want it setting up. I plan to keep the standard rake (lower at the front) and so lower the same amount all round.

My question is whether there is a sweet spot in terms of looks/handling and comfort. If the drop is adjustable, say from -30mm to -65mm, how much does the chosen drop impact the effectiveness of the shocks? I am assuming the ride will be "worse" wound down to -65mm compared to set at -30mm as there's less travel available in the shock?

If that's correct, is it linear, or would an extra 10mm drop from -55 to -65 have a far greater effect than a 10mm drop from -30 to -40?

I have the Bilstein B14 Komfort coilover set-up on mine mate - adjustable with a range of 40mm - 70mm. Have mine set at a 55mm drop, which is plenty low enough without ruining the ride quality. Looks low but not 'slammed'/broken. I wouldn't max out the drop if I were you. Go halfway through the drop range and you won't go far wrong. And make sure you get a 4 wheel tracking alignment afterwards (hopefully the dealer will include this, they should - but worth asking the question). Good luck, and post a pic after the job is done!

Funnily enough 50-55 was my original plan. Was just wondering if there would be a noticeable difference between 50 and 55 or 55 and 65 for example.

Yes, 4 wheel alignment and ADAS calibration all included (has ACC)

Shocks work best in the middle of their stroke.
Thanks. Have seen different ranges quoted for the Eibachs (it's a T6.1 California), but all the ranges have 45-50mm roughly in the middle.

Have asked for a 50mm drop, should be enough to get in the underground car park at work (2m barrier)

I would have hoped that if the dealers chose to sell these kits they Should know how to advice you on the height for the best ride .

The VW documentation advises the maximum drop that is approved, even though the Eibach coilovers will go lower. I believe the max drop is ~60mm. In my opinion 50-60mm is about the sweet spot if you want daily useable van.

I have the Eibachs on their lowest setting, and previously they were 10mm higher. There is no noticeable difference in ride quality since lowering

Generally the TUV approval will state the drops the kit can do with in the Certificate clearance . Heavier vans will go lower than light vans obviously but remember its nothing to do with the amount of thread left to adjust ,, its to do with the amount of travel the shaft has before bottoming on to the bump stop that is important

Thanks. Have seen different ranges quoted for the Eibachs (it's a T6.1 California), but all the ranges have 45-50mm roughly in the middle.

Have asked for a 50mm drop, should be enough to get in the underground car park at work (2m barrier)
Hey
How did you find the Eibach coilovers?

Back