Rhythmic Bumping

Tappers67

Hi all,

So I need some help please. I have a dull rhythmic bumping noise, I think from the rear but can't pinpoint it. Its best heard when driving at less than 10mph and is just a bump bump bump sound. It doesn't matter whether its in gear or neutral just rolling along, it's always there. At higher speeds, around the 65mph zone there's a whining noise but over 70mph that goes.

Van is a 2018 SWB.

TIA.

Maybe a cat wrapped round your rear axle? Sorry, not helpful.
Maybe brakes?
Might be difficult to achieve but if you can get the sound uploaded to youtube then linked here someone may have a better idea.

Hi all,

So I need some help please. I have a dull rhythmic bumping noise, I think from the rear but can't pinpoint it. Its best heard when driving at less than 10mph and is just a bump bump bump sound. It doesn't matter whether its in gear or neutral just rolling along, it's always there. At higher speeds, around the 65mph zone there's a whining noise but over 70mph that goes.

Van is a 2018 SWB.

TIA.
Have you checked your tyres for any lumps or bulges, both on the tread and the sidewalls?
Easiest way is to jack up each wheel and slowly turn each wheel. Beware that there may be cord or wire sticking out the tyre, wearing gloves is a good precaution against injury.
You may also notice either a noise, roughness or tightness as you rotate the wheel. This could be a sticking brake or a wheel bearing.
Not sure how confident or competent you are, but block the opposite wheel that you are jacking up with a brick or lump of wood. Release the handbrake for the rear wheels, and ensure it’s in neutral for the front.

I had just this recently. Was convinced it was a rear wheel bearing and it turned out to be a tyre which had deformed. You couldn‘t see it by eye.
try swapping the rears out with the spare and see if it goes away

Back