Review: Aldi Midi Dehumidifier £29

P

Phil_G

[I know this is probably in the wrong place, but I cant find a section for 'review a product' ]

If your camper is mostly parked up over the 'British rainy season' then you've probably been worried about damp, especially if you leave your bedding in there. At home, we flood easily, and I have a 'proper' compressor dehumidifier but thats usually busy in the home, so when I saw these reduced from £34 to £29 in Aldi, I thought I'd give one a try. This is a small and lightweight dehumidifier employing a Peltier element rather than a compressor and it actually runs off 12v. Now I know what you're thinking, but no, it uses a constant 6 amps, so mains hook-up and the supplied 12v power unit (worth £29 alone!) is pretty much essential. Rated at 72 watts, its no more hungry than leaving a light bulb on overnight. Mine has been running in the house for 3 days solid now and it actually works very well. Its quiet, being Peltier all you can hear is a gentle fan running, which won't keep you awake overnight. The tank is 1.5 litres and is about half-full up to now - over that period the compressor dehumidifier would probably have pulled much more, but in the confines of a motorhome or camper, it would be very effective. The tank easily pulls out for emptying (free distilled water!) and should it freeze, it has an auto defrost cycle.
Playing with the Sonoff remote sensor you can actually see the humidity dropping over a period.
Highly recommended and at £29 its yet another Aldi bargain

Cheers
Phil

Easy Home Midi Dehumidifier
demid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a different unit from Aldi this last week. It has some form of crystals in it and you only need to plug it in to dry the unit out once the crystals change colour. Part of their camping range.
9022CDF6-FE8F-4FC6-BDA5-C15239AB80F4.jpeg

Re the Aldi "Easy Home Midi Dehumidifier" in the opening post, did anyone keep the manual please?
The LED was red last night which I guess means 'defrosting', but today its flashing blue... its not full...

Found it, so I scanned it for reference. Red means it needs emptying, flashing blue means its defrosting.
Must say, its doing a great job, well worth the £20.

Attachments

• aldi_easy_home_midi_dehumidifier.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
What I like about the Aldi Peltier one is that you actually get to empty over a litre of liquid water from the tank,
its so satisfying to think its all contained in the tank rather than spread throughout your van & your bedding!
You dont get that with the crystal ones, in fact having emptied many litres of water I very much doubt the
crystal ones would keep up ;)

The Aldi one will come around again I'm sure but meanwhile this one looks similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Dehumidifier-Kitchen-Bedroom-Bathroom/dp/B008AIS8QM/ref=asc_df_B008AIS8QM/

Cheers
Phil

I got this just to leave in the van. Not sure how much difference it makes but cheap and better than nothing. May get an “active” device for when we are sleeping in it
upload_2020-3-25_7-27-29.jpeg

It’s a bean bag type thing, I guess containing absorbing crystals so no battery, hence good for passive background humidity control.

It’s very difficult to know what good it’s doing though

What I like about the Aldi Peltier one is that you actually get to empty over a litre of liquid water from the tank,
its so satisfying to think its all contained in the tank rather than spread throughout your van & your bedding!
You dont get that with the crystal ones, in fact having emptied many litres of water I very much doubt the
crystal ones would keep up ;)

The Aldi one will come around again I'm sure but meanwhile this one looks similar:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-Dehumidifier-Kitchen-Bedroom-Bathroom/dp/B008AIS8QM/ref=asc_df_B008AIS8QM/

Cheers
Phil

I’m fairly certain that’s the one we have. They come in different sizes. I’ve found it really good and it does make a difference. We always use one.

Back