Reversing camera manual overide/activation - video in motion.

mrmule

Morning all. Second post ever! Be kind...

I’m towing a small trailer camping soon, and was wondering if I could code the van to be able to activate the rear view camera on the motorway just to periodically check the trailer. I have VCDS.

Any ideas?

I’d like to be able to do this too. Not seen anything in VCDS to enable it

could you add an extra switch to trigger the reversing lights for 0.001seconds but long enough for the picture to display on the screen? Maybe it will automatically switch off due to the vehicle speed.

I'd like to have a rear facing dash cam but I have a solid tailgate - using the reversing camera would be ideal

No problem using an aftermarket headunit, or any one with an AV input switch, but from my experiments with the 330+ it seems that the display is activated via a CAN bus signal rather than being switchable via the reverse light. This means that you would have to somehow inject a signal into the network telling the BCM that reverse had been activated. Quite what the BCM would make of being told that reverse had just been selected at 70mph I'm not sure, but probably along the lines of "F******************************CK!" :D

An extra monitor with an add on wireless reverse camera pointed at the trailer would probably be the most viable option.

Alternatively a quick glance in a minibus window as you pass each other could be all you need to check your trailer.
I'm far from a pro but for a few years my job was towing these mobile bars you see at shows around the country. And last year had to tow a trailer from hereford to Plymouth, Plymouth to colchester and the beck to Hereford. All in one day.
With a good pre check of lights, tyre pressures and load straps and long journey precheck also including tow hitch bolts, secondary brake cable and wheel nuts and tyres. I've always been happy using a reflection on the windows of passing vehicles to check my trailer is attached and looks healthy.
If it's your trailer and you now the history of it half your problems have gone.
For me I always did a full check of the trailer I was about to tow as you never knew how much abuse the last idiot gave it.

Afternoon All,

Does anyone know if video in motion is possible for a factory head unit with reverse camera? I'd like to have the option to view the feed from the camera while driving. I have VCDS, any help would be awesome!

Afternoon All,

Does anyone know if video in motion is possible for a factory head unit with reverse camera? I'd like to have the option to view the feed from the camera while driving. I have VCDS, any help would be awesome!
This is something I’ve wanted to do, but not found anything in VCDS to enable it. Afaik, you need the trigger from reverse gear to bring up the camera. It’s been discussed before & no-one was able to solve it.

Thanks mate! I've searched about a bit but couldn't find anything. It seems a shame some times that you can have a glance behind as the camera is there

Thanks mate! I've searched about a bit but couldn't find anything. It seems a shame some times that you can have a glance behind as the camera is there
Agreed, it would be handy. I do a lot of towing & sometimes you wonder if you’ve raised the jockey wheel:rolleyes:

Had the same thought this week. difficult to look out the back window with all the camper stuff in the van...

Evening all.
I will soon be wiring in a host of goodies including LED lighting, leisure battery, towbar and a reversing camera. The plan is to lay in cables for these and as many other future mods I can think of to save opening up all the panelling more often than I need to.
One mod that does intrigue me is the ability to display the reversing camera image by a simple button press. It would be useful while towing, potentially while in traffic but also for lining up with parking bays etc.
The only reference to wiring for the camera that I can find is a current diagram but either by design or my own lack of understanding this doesn't show me what I need.
As I understand it the power should be switched via relay by the reverse light feed to provide a stable supply although I think that both the reverse lights and camera are generally fed from the same fuse? What I would like to know is whether my Discovery Media head unit will display the image if I simply provide power to the camera? If this is the case I realise (think) that some clever circuitry may be required to prevent illumination of the reverse lights
Thank you in advance!

if you’re talking OEM it’s not that simple. It’s all done by CANBUS signals

Does or has anyone managed to convert their reverse cam to view behind whilst driving forward? I've got pretty much no view behind and always concerned who is behind eg police. Im sure with a modified loom via another input and switch this could be done?

Back