Reversing camera to aftermarket headunit

Sabaxter

T6
T6 Pro
So I've read over a good few of the reverse camera threads however I. Hoping someone with more vw knowledge may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Now I've installed an aftermarket headunit, I've not updated on here yet as I've a few small bits to complete before I pop it up for criticism haha.

But let's step back I believe j had the discover media unit as mine is a highline, has a reverse camera, nav, Bluetooth and all that jazz.

So factory reversing camera, am i right to assume that the factory camera connects to one of the
Fakra type plugs on the back or does it delve into the quad lock system??

Depending on the above answer, if the camera goes goes into the fakra type connectors does anyone know if there's a connector that converts the cable from the female fakra to a standard yellow video out cable?

I'm hoping I can integrate the oem Camera with the aftermarket headunit, a) looks better b) saves loads of work

I hope that makes sense it's literally a light bulb moment in my head!

Factory camera connects to pins 6 & 12 in the blue plug

Amazing thank you @Pauly any ideas what pin 6 and 12 are for? See they basically video elements?
I'm assuming the camera is like most aftermarket ie obtain power and signal from the reverse lamps etc

I'm wondering if that's the case if there's a female connector to video adaptor somewhere on the web

Amazing thank you @Pauly any ideas what pin 6 and 12 are for? See they basically video elements?
I'm assuming the camera is like most aftermarket ie obtain power and signal from the reverse lamps etc

I'm wondering if that's the case if there's a female connector to video adaptor somewhere on the web
Pin 6 is the signal and 12 is the screen.

Pin 6 is the signal and 12 is the screen.
So theoretically if I got a video cable standard male and cut it off, if I stripped the cable down to both cores and wired that do you think that would provide the ability to use the factory camera with the aftermarket headunit?

It runs with canbus so it's working with all steering controls and when I select reverse the screen goes to the camera page and also shows the sensor map and proximity graph which is all active I'm literally missing the ceramic image but don't want a cheap after market camera hanging out

So theoretically if I got a video cable standard male and cut it off, if I stripped the cable down to both cores and wired that do you think that would provide the ability to use the factory camera with the aftermarket headunit?

It runs with canbus so it's working with all steering controls and when I select reverse the screen goes to the camera page and also shows the sensor map and proximity graph which is all active I'm literally missing the ceramic image but don't want a cheap after market camera hanging out
I think that would be fine.

Right next task it is then hahathank you for the support guys I'll update in due coarse

Hopefully it will answer someone else's questions in the future

Yea just get those two cores into an rca plug and feed it into the new headunit and you should be sorted

Are you able to enable the camera other than by going into reverse? Sometimes it's useful to know what's behind and don't have a rear window!
Thanks

I don't suppose anybody has a copy of the installations instructions for the OEM camera? @Pauly @Deaky

I bought one from VagTec, but no instructions included. Physically fitted it, but need to connect it up and code the head unit. I've emailed VagTec, but nothing back yet - any help appreciated :)

Van is a 2020 6.1 Highline 150

Anyone can help me with my OEM camera into a Kenwood head unit. I have an RCA male with tails and pins ready to connect to blue multi block. Can someone confirm which wires in the blue connector please. Above mentions pin 6 and 12 but have no idea which end of the connector that may be. I’ve downloaded the wiring diagram and it suggest a black wire required , but we have two in the connector at each end.

I have the screen switching in reverse, I have guide lines and reverse sensor icon but no video image. Thank you.B9EEFF7F-F20C-49F0-9C35-1616064A0C27.png

Last edited:
Anyone can help me with my OEM camera into a Kenwood head unit. I have an RCA male with tails and pins ready to connect to blue multi block. Can someone confirm which wires in the blue connector please. Above mentions pin 6 and 12 but have no idea which end of the connector that may be. I’ve downloaded the wiring diagram and it suggest a black wire required , but we have two in the connector at each end.

I have the screen switching in reverse, I have guide lines and reverse sensor icon but no video image. Thank you.View attachment 186048
Pin 6 is the signal and 12 is the screen. There should be a number 1 somewhere on the plug identifying pin 1. The ones you want are the other end of the plug.

Thanks. Much appreciated. But I’m struggling with which end is pin 1 etc. I’ve test fitted to what I believe is 6 and 12 but no image. I’m using this adapterDA9A980C-EE80-4B13-ADA5-A5CD81B7279E.jpeg

I have the screen switching in reverse, I have guide lines and reverse sensor icon but no video image. Thank you.View attachment 186048
Shield is black, signal is white.

I also think the video input on your Kenwood should be set to NTSC and not PAL

No image regardless of orientation of the pins in the adaptor. I can only assume the camera in the tailgate is connected so may need to pull off the panel to check. Or hand it over to someone who has better understanding.

I don't suppose anybody has a copy of the installations instructions for the OEM camera? @Pauly @Deaky

I bought one from VagTec, but no instructions included. Physically fitted it, but need to connect it up and code the head unit. I've emailed VagTec, but nothing back yet - any help appreciated :)

Van is a 2020 6.1 Highline 150

rear camera instuctions.jpg

Back