Reverse Camera and LED Tail Light conflict

Mick5280

Hi all, many thanks for allowing me to join, I have just purchased a 68 plate t6 camper with a brand new conversion, it has had a reversing camera fitted (the type that clips to the rear view mirror) everything was working perfectly but i have just upgraded the rear lights to the led type and now the camera works when engine is not running but when engine is on and I select reverse I get a buzzing sound from under dash and the camera goes off, I quickly swapped an original light back onto the nearside of the van and all works perfectly again, I am wondering if the camera needs re wiring now i have different lights. Many thanks in anticipation. Mick

Hi @Mick5280 welcome to the forum. It will be the reversing signal that’s taken from the reverse light bulb. The van switches these on and off electronically using PWM. Now you have LED lamps the resistance in the circuit is different. usually in this situation a relay is necessary, triggered by the reversing light but supplying a clean 12v supply to the camera.

Hi all, many thanks for allowing me to join, I have just purchased a 68 plate t6 camper with a brand new conversion, it has had a reversing camera fitted (the type that clips to the rear view mirror) everything was working perfectly but i have just upgraded the rear lights to the led type and now the camera works when engine is not running but when engine is on and I select reverse I get a buzzing sound from under dash and the camera goes off, I quickly swapped an original light back onto the nearside of the van and all works perfectly again, I am wondering if the camera needs re wiring now i have different lights. Many thanks in anticipation. Mick
Also have a look at these 4 links below.

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/oem...tial-led-indicator-retrofit.17781/post-257322

Reactions: mmi
I just tried swapping mine too and had exactly the same problem, the passenger side brake light didnt work either? Not sure if you had that?

Many thanks for your speedy reply although it made no sense to me lol but i understand the theory, will research where to fit the relay and see if i can get somewhere local to me to do it. David, no, every other light works fine, brakes, rear fog , side lights etc, its just the retro fit reverse camera. Many thanks all anyway as you have given something to sort out now i know what it is.

I've just checked mine and my reversing camera is already switched via the relay, @Deaky @Robert do you think it could be something to do with my towbar at all? Must talk to reverse somehow to do the trailer lights?

As an update it is the 12v relay for the rev camera that is buzzing presumably as the rear light is LED it now it doesnt have the same signal to open the switch, @Deaky and idea of the relay i need please? Your help would be much appreciated!

As an update it is the 12v relay for the rev camera that is buzzing presumably as the rear light is LED it now it doesnt have the same signal to open the switch, @Deaky and idea of the relay i need please? Your help would be much appreciated!
If you’re getting problems with the relay chattering you could try a relay board with an opti-decoupler

I had exactly this issue and replaced the installed relay for one of these:
D90F34B3-4D75-4E65-AD85-3D0A557B565D.jpeg
worked perfectly since

Hi guys, Not having the same issue as most but.. Since I’ve upgraded my Rear Lights to the THQ LED Lights my after market reversing camera keeps triggering randomly on my Alpine Head Unit as I’m driving along, Doesn't seem to be a particular pattern for when it does it.

Would the Halfords HEF560 Relay solve this issue? Or would I need to do something else?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi , today I have fit my new THQ rear lights, they are the T6.1 style LED's and have just been released this week. I have exactly the same problem , camera works fine with ignition on but engine not running but when i turn the ignition on & put the van.in reverse, the relay goes crazy !!20210925_145722.jpg

Hi , today I have fit my new THQ rear lights, they are the T6.1 style LED's and have just been released this week. I have exactly the same problem , camera works fine with ignition on but engine not running but when i turn the ignition on & put the van.in reverse, the relay goes crazy !!View attachment 131297

Thanks Robert, the camera has worked fine for 3 years until fitting these lights today. Unfortunately the link you shared does not mean much to me, my electrical knowledge is fairly basic. I only bought these lights as they are advertised as plug & play so im a bit disappointed.

Hi , today I have fit my new THQ rear lights, they are the T6.1 style LED's and have just been released this week. I have exactly the same problem , camera works fine with ignition on but engine not running but when i turn the ignition on & put the van.in reverse, the relay goes crazy !!View attachment 131297
I had this same issue, the lights are fine its just the standard relay doesnt like it. Try this relay, worked perfect for me now!
I had exactly this issue and replaced the installed relay for one of these:
View attachment 95949
worked perfectly since

Hi David , im going to buy that relay today, what i dont understand is why one relay works & the other doesn't?
If im honest i don't completely understand the technical electronics behind it. From what I do understand my relay was oscillating when triggered which the camera didnt like. The diode in this relay stops that happening

If im honest i don't completely understand the technical electronics behind it. From what I do understand my relay was oscillating when triggered which the camera didnt like. The diode in this relay stops that happening
I have fit the new relay & unfortunately it has made no difference. The camera works fine with the engine off, i turn the engine on and the relay goes crazy & the camera does not work, gutted.

20210926_115841.jpg

Back