Reverse Camera / separate monitor

Hi. Looking for some help and pointers.
I'd like to fit a camera pointing rearward. Mainly for reversing but if it can act as a rear view mirror then great. Happy to have an over the mirror screen.
So are there any suggestions? Oh and easiest way to power it. I guess if it's rear view linking to reverse lights ain't a goer .

Cheers

I think you would be looking at an after market radio + camera solution... ( @andys has had issues where he could only have the camera showing when in reverse)

Or most likely a stand alone monitor + camera solution.

Tons of them on Ebay/Amazon etc

im in the process of fitting a reverse camera and rear dash cam
I've used a pioneer reverse cam and a motorbike dash cam
only got as far as fitting the camera,s and run wiring behind the rear light lense
had a chat with my local converter as to best way to get cables to front as mine is campered
need to run cables under van to front and up under passenger seat then to the dash , hoping for better weather this weekend

Garmin SatNav and Garmin BC30 WiFi system works well, just needs a power supply to the camera.

Hi, have any of you fitted wireless back up cameras to either smartphones or a separate monitor?
What were your thoughts on quality and usability.
I'm slightly surprised that they nearly all show 4-5 stars in the reviews!

I've fitted the 2020 costco one to the neighbour's van.

Image Quality and frame rate was very good, dashtop standalone monitor was decent enough.

The rear cam module is battery and solar, so a 2part peice. I'm not so keen on the looks of the solar, battery bit but I get why it's there... .... it designed to be fitted to the number plate.

For the price it was a good deal for the neighbour's van as he had no nav screen up front to add a camera to. His only complaint was that the rear battery went flat twice due to low solar during these winter months.

But overall he is happy with the looks, quality, functionality, price.

Not sure I'd want one my van tho...... I prefer the OEM look of camera plus OEM screen or Kenwood nav screen etc.

Last edited:
Yes - I wanted a rear view camera not a reversing camera, power is taken from an ignition live on the rear wiper. The camera is mounted internally in the bottom corner of the window in the middle of the van as far as possible. I wouldn't say that the image is perfect but is sufficient for viewing a trailer and reversing. ( Excuse the mud from the dog!)
img-1332-copy.jpg
img-1333-copy.jpg

I am looking at installing a dashcam front and rear (recommendations welcome).

I already have an OEM reversing camera, is there anyway of using it as the rear facing camera for the dashcam?

Back