Reverse camera for Alpine Halo9

GingerDub

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So....I have the Alpine and have purchased a camera. The camera has the yellow plug and relevant power and earth pigtails.
Question - do I need to run a wire from the Alpine to the reverse light live as well or does the power to the camera signal to the stereo it needs to switch the view?

Any help appreciated.

E349BAAD-94E1-441C-B8BE-51B6DC5C6F24.jpeg

So....I have the Alpine and have purchased a camera. The camera has the yellow plug and relevant power and earth pigtails.
Question - do I need to run a wire from the Alpine to the reverse light live as well or does the power to the camera signal to the stereo it needs to switch the view?

Any help appreciated.

View attachment 90298
if the Halo 9 has the Alpine interface then the halo will automatically switch over when reverse is selected, after you switched it on in settings. So ground the black cable and run the red wire from the camera to a switch 12v, ie the red wire on the halo.. this will give you a image in reverse and rear view image when you are driving

Thank you @Absolut5

I do have the Alpine fitting loom so should be good then.

It isn’t an Alpine camera though if that has any influence?

D9D8FCEB-CF41-4EB4-B0A4-F1E01389A1D9.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s good, reverse is taken care Of by that lead.. just run the cameras positive to the red wire in that lead, turn it on in settings, job done

it will take any pal/nstc camera

So....reverse camera fitted.

Video lead into head unit
Pig tail live and neutral off live behind head unit
Reverse from Alpine fitting loom connected to reverse from head unit
Live connected to reverse switching live on rear cluster (2 in photo)
Neutral connected to 4 in photo

Head unit is now flickering under ignition - camera works
Engine on and camera flickers and stereo flickers/switches off

Any ideas?

963A092B-AB85-44E7-9567-D93AF085ED12.JPG

So....reverse camera fitted.

Video lead into head unit
Pig tail live and neutral off live behind head unit
Reverse from Alpine fitting loom connected to reverse from head unit
Live connected to reverse switching live on rear cluster (2 in photo)
Neutral connected to 4 in photo

Head unit is now flickering under ignition - camera works
Engine on and camera flickers and stereo flickers/switches off

Any ideas?

View attachment 91290
You do not connect the camera to the reverse wire. Run the power for camera upto a ignition live or to the red wire on back of the alpine .

this will give you the option of rear view when driving as well as reverse ..

You do not connect the camera to the reverse wire. Run the power for camera upto a ignition live or to the red wire on back of the alpine .

Done and working! Thank you

What the headunit ?

if you just joined the red wire from the camera to the red wire on the alpine harness this will have no affect.as it’s switched

What the headunit ?

if you just joined the red wire from the camera to the red wire on the alpine harness this will have no affect.as it’s switched
Yes, I didn’t make any change except the live to camera behind head unit. Bizarre

joined to that red wire in the picture above with the rubber insulation? If so that’s correct, and that red wire is not connected anywhere else ? Except the camera

if the Halo 9 has the Alpine interface then the halo will automatically switch over when reverse is selected, after you switched it on in settings. So ground the black cable and run the red wire from the camera to a switch 12v, ie the red wire on the halo.. this will give you a image in reverse and rear view image when you are driving
I have the Halo 9 with Alpine interface connected to an original fit VW rear camera. Can this be switched on to have rear image when driving?

I have the Halo 9 with Alpine interface connected to an original fit VW rear camera. Can this be switched on to have rear image when driving?
The issue is the factory camera only comes on in reverse . And the only way I think you can overcome this is locate the yellow wire at the camera and connect this to 12v ignition

The issue is the factory camera only comes on in reverse . And the only way I think you can overcome this is locate the yellow wire at the camera and connect this to 12v ignition
how would you then switch it on any off on the head unit?

I’m in the process of routing my cables in preparation for the audio installation. Can anyone advise if I can pick up an ignition live at the barn door to save me running a wire from front to rear?

(Routing of the wire from front to rear isn’t the real issue, I really don’t want to tackle the routing of the wire into that ribbed rubber conduit for the barn door. Getting the video cable in it was horrific!)

Any help appreciated.

View attachment 90298
What camera did you get?

Back