tailgate - opening from inside?

Here’s a video of how I did mine:

Wow fantastic really good. I don’t like scotch block connectors. I prefer soldering and splicing. I also use WAGO blocks available from screwfix.

But these do suit a larger bore cable as they are designed for 240 volts AC. But for low wattage DC with a large enough cable they are fantastic. They have a recessed multi meter testing point that I tend to take over.

But I can imagine there is not much room in your tailgate for wiring.

Fantastic video. Especially as it’s so easy. I even asked VW about them retrofitting this into my van. And they said it was not possible!

Wow fantastic really good. I don’t like scotch block connectors. I prefer soldering and splicing. I also use WAGO blocks available from screwfix.

But these do suit a larger bore cable as they are designed for 240 volts AC. But for low wattage DC with a large enough cable they are fantastic. They have a recessed multi meter testing point that I tend to take over.

But I can imagine there is not much room in your tailgate for wiring.

Fantastic video. Especially as it’s so easy. I even asked VW about them retrofitting this into my van. And they said it was not possible!
Tottaly agree with you, not a massive fan of the scotch block either, solder and heat shrink all the way usually, as you said it was a space thing really especially with filming. I may even take it off, solder to the original switch wires and then connect to aftermarket switch, would have been better on reflection

Tottaly agree with you, not a massive fan of the scotch block either, solder and heat shrink all the way usually, as you said it was a space thing really especially with filming. I may even take it off, solder to the original switch wires and then connect to aftermarket switch, would have been better on reflection

Don’t fix it, if it isn’t broken!

Great You Tube channel btw! I have subscribed.

Don’t fix it, if it isn’t broken!

Great You Tube channel btw! I have subscribed.

Thanks, really appreciate the positive feedback. Cheers for subbing!

Does anyone know if these switches are only electronic, or do they have a mechanical cable/rod pulling one like shown on the first post? I swear i must have seen this exact style but mechanical. The thing is, i'd rather have a mechanical, if when sleeping inside the van starts to burn from lets say, electrical fault therefore maybe hindering the electronic switches operation capability.

Last edited:
The switch is electric only then there is an actuator that activates the lock via a pushrod

Guess ill have to go the electric way then, really like the oem look.

Anyone know where I can order the OEM switch online?
I would like to know that too.

I asked VW but they take your registration number to look everything up.

And of course my van doesn’t have one. So they can’t find the part number!!

So they can’t find the part number!!
Even when you quote it?

I asked my VW commercial dealer 6 months ago if they would fit the switch to open the tailgate.

And they stated it was not a modification they were aware of, and there is no actual VW blueprint for fitting an internal tailgate switch unless it was there as OEM.

Basically they are quite unhelpful. None of the staff there seem that bothered or enthused in VW fans like me. None of them drive VW’s. The Sales director has a BMW.

The parts guy is about as exciting as watching paint dry and everything revolves around “what is your registration number”.

The most helpful and friendly staff I have encountered are the mechanics.

I could grow VW’s parts business by just employing staff who love their brand and recognise the potential in VW Transporters.

So when I read up on the simple modification on here. And I have the T6 with the motorised handle. The tailgate has the cut out for the switch to fit. I thought ‘simples’. I just need the switch.

But boring parts guy gapped i’m my reg number. And stated it does not list it for your van.

“No I reply. I realise that. Please can you look me one up”

“Sure he replies, can you give me a registration of a vehicle with the one you want”.

“No I cannot. I am guessing a T6 Caravelle or California Please can you just look me up a generic one” I ask?

“No” he replies. And that was how the phone conversation was.

This is the commercial VW dealer in Cowfold, West Sussex. With branches in Croydon and Tunbridge Wells.

You’re not going to like the price...

Morning,

I have seen that one. But it would need a dedicated VW plug/connector.

I have already tried adapting one of the dashboard switches in a spare slot to make a switch for another purpose. But I had to cut into it with the dremmel and then solder onto the tags. So not ideal.

I actually think a cheap spring loaded ‘normally closed’ switch would do the job. Be easy to wire. And probably cheap as chips.

I just haven’t had the time yet to look for one.

I asked my VW commercial dealer 6 months ago if they would fit the switch to open the tailgate.

And they stated it was not a modification they were aware of, and there is no actual VW blueprint for fitting an internal tailgate switch unless it was there as OEM.

Basically they are quite unhelpful. None of the staff there seem that bothered or enthused in VW fans like me. None of them drive VW’s. The Sales director has a BMW.

The parts guy is about as exciting as watching paint dry and everything revolves around “what is your registration number”.

The most helpful and friendly staff I have encountered are the mechanics.

I could grow VW’s parts business by just employing staff who love their brand and recognise the potential in VW Transporters.

So when I read up on the simple modification on here. And I have the T6 with the motorised handle. The tailgate has the cut out for the switch to fit. I thought ‘simples’. I just need the switch.

But boring parts guy gapped i’m my reg number. And stated it does not list it for your van.

“No I reply. I realise that. Please can you look me one up”

“Sure he replies, can you give me a registration of a vehicle with the one you want”.

“No I cannot. I am guessing a T6 Caravelle or California Please can you just look me up a generic one” I ask?

“No” he replies. And that was how the phone conversation was.

This is the commercial VW dealer in Cowfold, West Sussex. With branches in Croydon and Tunbridge Wells.
That is bizarre. You’d think he’d have been happy to just look it up with the part number you gave him and then sell you a part.
TPS are worth a try. Or the eBay offering above.

You’re not going to like the price...
Yeah! I got an original one at a similar price and then needed the outer bezel to finish it off and that was another £15 all in! It looks good though.

I fitted one of these
Same. Took the feed from the numberplate light and job’s a good’un.
Just need to fit @Willoughby’s extra unlock switch now..

Back