Retrofitting rear AC to SWB T6 Shuttle

Mb1612

Hi I have recently bought a SWB 2016 T6 Shuttle and didn't realise it didn't have AC in the rear. I have it in the front but would like it in the back as well. Is this something that is possible? Has anyone attempted it?

Oh boy.
It is.
But your in for a massive, massive job... one that is not worth doing.
That is, if you were wanting to put in the rear climatronic.
There is a simpler rear vent system that works off the front, i believe, but, i dont know of the details of that. something that would be worth asking some kombi owners about as there were several option available for rear of cab ventilation.
I work from the assumption there is no ventilation at all in the rear your shuttle, however.

I assume that, compared to a PV, the Shuttle has greater capacity to hold more refrigerant because it has a bigger space to cool?
I had my Ford Focus regassed recently and saw that it takes more refrigerant than the van does.

The amount of refrigerant needed is all based on the cubic volume of the system that is installed. That is the same for all ac systems and even fridges and freezers.
Just because a vehicle is larger does not mean it will hold more refrigerant its all based on the hardware that is installed.
Different refrigerant are different weights for the same volume also - 134a and 1234yf are the most common in vehicles and home appliances sometimes now use R290 (propane). Its done by weight.
But obviously the system is under pressure because all these refrigerant are gasses at normal atmospheric pressure, so, It is possible to skimp on refrigerant and the system become less effective - Ac systems should never need regassing unless there is a leak - have a 20 year old car still blow ice cold, never been touched.. the quality isnt what it used to be in the best majority of vehicles
But then there is also osmosis, so, it is possible for the gas to escape over a great many years through the rubber piping, but, youd expect that in a well used car that is over twenty years old. Not five. Haha

Last edited:
Hi I have recently bought a SWB 2016 T6 Shuttle and didn't realise it didn't have AC in the rear. I have it in the front but would like it in the back as well. Is this something that is possible? Has anyone attempted it?
Oh boy.
It is.
But your in for a massive, massive job... one that is not worth doing.
That is, if you were wanting to put in the rear climatronic.
There is a simpler rear vent system that works off the front, i believe, but, i dont know of the details of that. something that would be worth asking some kombi owners about as there were several option available for rear of cab ventilation.
I work from the assumption there is no ventilation at all in the rear your shuttle, however.
@Mb1612 have you seen this thread:

I writ what I Did from the basis of knowledge of reading that post and general understanding of how the system would work from a very similar set up on an old grand vitara we have...
It's not out the realms of possibility to fit air con to the rear, but it's the whole ungassing, regassing and getting the pipes fitted by someone qualified etc etc (really, but, you know...) - I'm under the impression 1234 is expensive in comparison also.. second cousin said £1000 a kilo.. though, I dont believe that, but I do believe it will be more expensive than 134a..
Looking at some 'blue prints' on other sites, there are bits of trim that are different on rear ac models (?) and potentially the blower is too.. I cant remember though.. dont take my word on any of that.. bit blurry.

I always have a thing in the back of my head when buying a vehicle 'if the top of the line spec or package is the only one to have it, you bet your bottom dollar (or pound) itll have slightly different parts from the rest. They make the money from you when it breaks and the bit(s) is infinitely more expensive'
It's what happens..

Hi, I’ve just done the same thing… did you manage to find a way to get air con in the back? I’ve just called VW and they say it’s not something they do

My guess would be no or yes the price was outlandish for the warranty.. lol

Some things in vehicles, it's best to stick it out and find one with those tick option as factory if you want them as retrofitting them is a nightmare.

Watching this thread just in case a solution comes up.
I have been searching for a while for the answer for my Shuttle
I would've assumed 7E5820004B (heater box+evap), and then 2 long pipes (back to front) and then a front T pipe of some sort to connect to the existing system/pipes.
This is what I will be trying first. just need the part numbers for engine bay connector pipes.

There is a firm in London called Alpinair, quoted me £1,450 to do it. Not had it done yet but more than likely will.

They do just in the front , not rear … cheers
Apologies for digging up such an old thread, but I thought I would post for anyone else still looking to fit AC in the rear of a shuttle that doesn't have it.

I just came off the phone with Alpinair and they definitely do install AC in the rear of shuttles that don't already have it, so long as it already has the rear heater. They install a second evaporator in the same space as the rear heater and 'Tee' into your existing AC lines at the front.

As of August 2022 they charge £1550 +vat with a 4 week lead time.
The cold air blows out of the same vents used for the rear heat at floor level and from the ceiling.

For more info call Sam at Alpinair on 020 8991 0055

Reactions: CAB
I stripped a complete system out of a 2016 shuttle prior to camper conversion. The only complication I could see in retrofitting this in another van would be the wiring - the rest is just plumbing and nuts and bolts. Best bet would be to find one in a breakers yard

I stripped a complete system out of a 2016 shuttle prior to camper conversion. The only complication I could see in retrofitting this in another van would be the wiring - the rest is just plumbing and nuts and bolts. Best bet would be to find one in a breakers yard
I am almost there …. Just to do final connections . I am a bit stuck on the wiring on top of front AC unit , there is very limited space and don’t fancy to remove dashboard ( I may not even need to get there ) .

Apologies for digging up such an old thread, but I thought I would post for anyone else still looking to fit AC in the rear of a shuttle that doesn't have it.

I just came off the phone with Alpinair and they definitely do install AC in the rear of shuttles that don't already have it, so long as it already has the rear heater. They install a second evaporator in the same space as the rear heater and 'Tee' into your existing AC lines at the front.

As of August 2022 they charge £1550 +vat with a 4 week lead time.
The cold air blows out of the same vents used for the rear heat at floor level and from the ceiling.

For more info call Sam at Alpinair on 020 8991 0055
I have discussed this with him last year , actually I have been there… thanks!!

I have everything installed with original parts... blower, pipes connected to the front. But I don't have place to connect blower. All my cables are under the front seat..... But no place to plug in.... Is there a chance to turn on blower.... ?

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-03 at 09.24.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-03 at 09.25.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-03 at 09.25.24.jpeg

Back