Retrofitting powered Tailgate

i did it myself 2 years ago.
Do you think it would support the weight of a bike rack and still open? I had to upgrade to 1200N struts to support the weight of the rack and sound deadening so if they aren't sufficiently strong I won't be able to do it.

Do you think it would support the weight of a bike rack and still open? I had to upgrade to 1200N struts to support the weight of the rack and sound deadening so if they aren't sufficiently strong I won't be able to do it.
with a 4 bicycles? i don't think so.

I got motivated by one of the members here and eventually I have done the drawing of the bottom bracket:thumbsup:

... home made
2 x bottom bracket (2 x steel flat bar & 2 x M8 nut & 2 x existing tailgate stud)
Below is LHS bracket that worked for me, obviously RHS is a mirrored version.
Zrzut ekranu z 2021-01-08 00-18-39.png
This option is for people who are not going to switch to 7E5 tailgate and want to keep their existing 7E0 tailgate and are willing to also implement modification to the tailgate itself.

BTW, Merry Christmas!

with a 4 bicycles? i don't think so.
It’s only a 2 bike rack and I can’t open the tailgate with one bike on let alone more! No I meant no bikes, just the weight of the rack and sound deadening.

@ROMANY TAMPIN has a powered rear and issues with the sound deadening weight causing the thing to slow down or fail.
He did raised an interesting question though. The Cali’s come with chairs in the tailgate and a rack on the back hence the 1200 struts. Just read, the Cali’s don’t have the power option available

Last edited:
@ROMANY TAMPIN has a powered rear and issues with the sound deadening weight causing the thing to slow down or fail.
He did raised an interesting question though. The Cali’s come with chairs in the tailgate and a rack on the back hence the 1200 struts. Just read, the Cali’s don’t have the power option available
Ah thanks, that’s saved me a lot of future frustration :thumbsup: I’ll forget it and move on to just the soft close

Thank you so much @Robert for drawing!. if there were someone to make and sell the customized brackets, I would be interested. I don't take it as a business, but as a help

Excuse me for hand drawn version and not CAD, it was done in hurry:rolleyes:
Below is LHS bracket that worked for me, obviously RHS is a mirrored version.
View attachment 56922
This option is for people who are not going to switch to 7E5 tailgate and want to keep their existing 7E0 tailgate and are willing to also implement modification to the tailgate itself.

BTW, Merry Christmas!
Spacing between two countersunk holes is 60mm.
Thanks @Deaky for bring this to my attention ;)

Reactions: mmi
Hey Mr @Robert

Bloody top mod, as per usual with you lol BTW, whats the connector part way down the strut harness for, it almost looks like a nipple for a pipe but that would be silly lol

Did you get yours connected so it utilises the factory parking sensors then?

I'm tempted to have a go at this mod, especially as you have managed to do this without damaging/whacking the oem tailgate :)

Hey Mr @Robert

Bloody top mod, as per usual with you lol BTW, whats the connector part way down the strut harness for, it almost looks like a nipple for a pipe but that would be silly lol

Did you get yours connected so it utilises the factory parking sensors then?

I'm tempted to have a go at this mod, especially as you have managed to do this without damaging/whacking the oem tailgate :)
The nipple is either a breather hole or it's to allow water to drain away if any gets down the rams.

It isn't possible to do this mod without cutting the existing tailgate.

I'll go take some pictures.

Last edited:
Back