Retrofitting a rear window (passanger side)

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So we've had our campervan for just over 2 years and weve decided that one thing we don't have but would really like is a window at the rear on the passanger side. On the outside of the van at tge rear passanger side is a glass panel. Taking the glass panel off is no problem and taking out the bed for access is no problem. My question is....would it be possible to cut out the panel to fit a window without ruining the carpet ?
20180913_175344~2.jpg

You might be able to use a nibbler to remove the metal without needing to remove the glass. Carpet can be cut and pulled back then restuck once finished.
Is the glass see through or blacked out by paint on the rear of the glass?

You might be able to use a nibbler to remove the metal without needing to remove the glass. Carpet can be cut and pulled back then restuck once finished.
Is the glass see through or blacked out by paint on the rear of the glass?
Good question , im presuming its limo tinted like the panel on the sliding door

With your van being white, and the picture you put up showing very little reflection off the panel behind the rear glass (I'd expect to see some black edging area) I wonder if there is either black paint on the whole rear of the glass, the glass is solid black or if the panel has been painted or vinyl coated before the glass was stuck on.
If you shine a torch through the glass can you see the panel behind it? If not, the glass could need to be changed for a transparent piece to make use of the opening.
I stuck matt black vinyl to the panels before sticking the glass to the vinyl, you can still just see the darker outside edge where there is black paint on the rear of the glass panel in this picture
GR13RPR ExteriorRear.jpg

With your van being white, and the picture you put up showing very little reflection off the panel behind the rear glass (I'd expect to see some black edging area) I wonder if there is either black paint on the whole rear of the glass, the glass is solid black or if the panel has been painted or vinyl coated before the glass was stuck on.
If you shine a torch through the glass can you see the panel behind it? If not, the glass could need to be changed for a transparent piece to make use of the opening.
I stuck matt black vinyl to the panels before sticking the glass to the vinyl, you can still just see the darker outside edge where there is black paint on the rear of the glass panel in this picture
View attachment 87718
I'll have a good look tomorrow, nice van by the way. Looks cool in orange

Back