[RESOLVED] Stuck in France!! AdBlue sensor

Mick485

Mick Schofield
Hi Guys,

I’ve got a 68 plate T6 combi which I took in for first service at VW 3 weeks ago as I wanted piece of mind for driving to SW France for a holiday. Prior to service I had the oil light on on the display although level was fine, this turned out to be because of rodent damage to cables which they replaced for £250ish.
I get over to France and get the adblue warning (650 miles left) no problem there I thought, I’ll top it up when I get a chance. I did assume that this would be part of service when they checked levels but obviously not! The yellow engine light and tire pressure light also came on?
So I carried on to my destination and stupidly left the adblue until we started our journey home as I’ve topped it up before with no issues and didn’t see it as a potential problem. So by now it’s counted down to 150 miles, I stop at a garage and fill it up... warning lights stay on! Checked manual, tried turning on ignition for a while before starting, still can’t clear it so we drive around 250m to halfway stopover during which it counts down to zero and the red warning light comes on, meaning once I turn off ignition I’m stuck.
Sure enough it then doesn’t re start, got on to VW assistance who send out recovery truck who has a quick look and takes it away. Now 3 days on the van still hasn’t even been looked at as they cant find a garage in the area to fix it.
Im no expert but I would of thought its a diagnostic problem that could be easily sorted.
VW are now saying we‘re better off going home by train (we have a dog so flying isnt an option and no hire cars available due to quarentine rush) and the van will follow in 2-3 weeks which is great because i use it for work.
i cant get my head round how this fairly simple issue has turned into an absolute nightmare, has anyone had a similar experiences either with the issues with van and in trying to get going again in France please?

Thanks in advance for any advice, cheers,

Mick.

Had almost exact same issue in Holland .
Waited 3 days for van to be looked at , was fixed within an hour or so .
Good luck , try getting on to vw again ?

Wow, unacceptable.
Have you looked yourself for the nearest Vw center ?
I would have thought it would be a case of a piggy back to the nearest dealer, wherever that may be.

That's a really sorry saga. Every time that I hear another story like this, I wonder how VW ever built up the almost godlike reputation that they seem to enjoy and I also wonder how other VAG companies are as well? That said, I've had an Audi since it was a year old and it's now 6 - it's been faultless through the whole period of ownership and the authorised dealers have never been anything but excellent. OK, they've tried to stiff me by recommending that brakes, tyres etc. are replaced far too early (don't they all?) but always gave honest answers when I questioned their recommendations. I've probably jinxed the car now!

Wow, unacceptable.
Have you looked yourself for the nearest Vw center ?
I would have thought it would be a case of a piggy back to the nearest dealer, wherever that may be.
Hi Neil, the guy that recovered it has now had it 3 days, I guess there no incentive for him to take it to the VW garage which is 20 miles away as he’s thinking he’ll get another days storage!!?? Getting a load of flannel from VW assistance about how they couldn’t find a garage that would look at it, I phoned the nearest garage myself who told me no problem they’d look at it straight away!!( luckily receptionist spoke English)!! Cannot believe how sh@# they’ve been, such an easy issue to resolve but just been completely lost in the system and let down by VW, cheers, Mick.

Hi Neil, the guy that recovered it has now had it 3 days, I guess there no incentive for him to take it to the VW garage which is 20 miles away as he’s thinking he’ll get another days storage!!?? Getting a load of flannel from VW assistance about how they couldn’t find a garage that would look at it, I phoned the nearest garage myself who told me no problem they’d look at it straight away!!( luckily receptionist spoke English)!! Cannot believe how sh@# they’ve been, such an easy issue to resolve but just been completely lost in the system and let down by VW, cheers, Mick.
I’m afraid that’s France for you same with everything
I hope you get sorted and please come back to sunny France

Are you in warranty?
Hit them for hire car , accommodation etc
No hire cars mate, apparently because of everyone rushing back to beat the quarantine, they’ve put us up in a hotel for 3 days now which is all they give you then tomorrow we’re on our own, still haven’t had confirmation that the van is even at VW at Angers, that’ll be day four!! They are so useless in the call centre it’s unreal, they wait for garages etc to come back to them rather than being proactive and chasing them up,“It’ll either be today or Tomorrow is a favourite”! I’ve achieved more today in 20 minutes of phone calls using the hotel receptionist as a translator than they have in 3 days. Let’s see what tomorrow brings!! Cheers.

No hire cars mate, apparently because of everyone rushing back to beat the quarantine, they’ve put us up in a hotel for 3 days now which is all they give you then tomorrow we’re on our own, still haven’t had confirmation that the van is even at VW at Angers, that’ll be day four!! They are so useless in the call centre it’s unreal, they wait for garages etc to come back to them rather than being proactive and chasing them up,“It’ll either be today or Tomorrow is a favourite”! I’ve achieved more today in 20 minutes of phone calls using the hotel receptionist as a translator than they have in 3 days. Let’s see what tomorrow brings!! Cheers.
Sorry, yes, still under warranty

From my experience , try and get recovered to a commercial VW garage rather than car garage / dealer.
It should be a really quick fix once they look at it .
Poor show from VW recovery.
Good luck.

I have found most car/van manufacturers to be pretty useless when it comes to this type of thing.
I think I would ask for a cost to get the van recovered to VW and if it was anything close to reasonable, would pay it myself.
Then, sit in the waiting room, and refuse to move, as you would have no-where to go.
Terrible performance by VW and obviously a real spoiler for the holiday

I have found most car/van manufacturers to be pretty useless when it comes to this type of thing.
I think I would ask for a cost to get the van recovered to VW and if it was anything close to reasonable, would pay it myself.
Then, sit in the waiting room, and refuse to move, as you would have no-where to go.
Terrible performance by VW and obviously a real spoiler for the holiday
Hi Neil,
You’re right, We got a Train to Algers and turned up at the garage, when we explained the situation they took pity on us and found time to look at it. I have no doubt that without doing that we would of lost another day or two. Home now after a 5 day delay.
Also had to pay for the work they did!! Apparently I need to claim that back from VW UK. Anyway thanks for everyone’s advice, all the best,
Mick.

I would post the whole sorry saga on social media, and let VW customer service know that you're doing it. They seem to respond a bit quicker when any kind of media is involved.

What was wrong in the end?
Not sure to be honest as I just got the run down from the guys at French garage who’s English wasn’t great. They had to drive it for 170k to clear the fault which was the van not recognising that I’d put adblue in. They were saying that you need to put adblue in on first warning, if that’s the case then why have multiple warnings and a mileage countdown? Obviously I’ll keep that topped up in the future, it’s been an expensive lesson!
I can’t understand why this isn’t part of the service if they’re checking Oil, screen wash etc why not top that up and charge extra for it?

Back