Reregistering after conversion

Stuupid

Team Grey T32 SWB
T6 Pro
Sorry if this has been asked before. I've finished my conversion and wonder if I need to inform the dvla or not? As the vehicle is a company van, if I register as a campervan would the dvla let the tax man know. Re-registering could reduce my premium but cause me problems elsewhere. Due to the increased value I cant just insure the van as a basic van and wonder what others have done?
Cheers

DVLA will not change the status of an existing panel van to Motorhome/Camper unless it meets certain criteria and most camper conversions don’t meet enough of the criteria. I’ve just received my V5 back from DVLA after sending in photo evidence of the conversion and it’s still classed as an N1 light commercial vehicle but changed from Panel Van to Van With Side Windows. That’s the best you can hope for

DVLA will not change the status of an existing panel van to Motorhome/Camper unless it meets certain criteria and most camper conversions don’t meet enough of the criteria. I’ve just received my V5 back from DVLA after sending in photo evidence of the conversion and it’s still classed as an N1 light commercial vehicle but changed from Panel Van to Van With Side Windows. That’s the best you can hope for
OK so not worth worrying about then

If you've added side windows, changed the colour, changed the number of seats or done anything else in relation to something detailed on the V5 then you should inform the DVLA.

As stated above, you need to ensure that things like the seating capacity and colour are correct. My panel van was always a “van with windows” even though it has no side windows (behind the front seats). I assumed that this was because the tailgate has a window.
If it is a company van, and you have a 2nd row of seats and windows behind the driver, then the BIK could well be as for a car as your van will be considered dual purpose. Consult a tax advisor to satisfy yourself as you don’t want to end up with a big bill in a few years time.

If your van is currently down as a panel van you could just get it changed to van with side windows because it’s ‘how it appears in traffic’ to the police, especially if you go past a mobile speed camera. I think I’m right in saying that a panel van is restricted to 60mph in 70 limits and lower speeds on other roads, 40 in a 60 I think. Changing the status to van with windows excepts you from those limits.

If your van is currently down as a panel van you could just get it changed to van with side windows because it’s ‘how it appears in traffic’ to the police, especially if you go past a mobile speed camera. I think I’m right in saying that a panel van is restricted to 60mph in 70 limits and lower speeds on other roads, 40 in a 60 I think. Changing the status to van with windows excepts you from those limits.
Thanks for the info Ray but mines registered as a Kombi anyway.

Changing to van with windows does not exempt you from the commercial vehicle speed limits, from what you've written I don't think you have a thorough understanding of the rules at all!

Jumping in on this for some advice.... I've agreed to buy a T6 that was converted about 5 years ago. Apparently still registered as a van not a camper. I had this with a previous t5 but that was in 2017 and changing to camper was relatively easy. Will try (though from the various threads wont be easy).

Any thoughts re my insurance validity if I insure it now as a camper? thanks in advance....

Jumping in on this for some advice.... I've agreed to buy a T6 that was converted about 5 years ago. Apparently still registered as a van not a camper. I had this with a previous t5 but that was in 2017 and changing to camper was relatively easy. Will try (though from the various threads wont be easy).

Any thoughts re my insurance validity if I insure it now as a camper? thanks in advance....
No issues.

The insurers are all aware of the DVLA change in attitude.

Back