Replacing headlight plastic lens cover on LEDS

LambethBoy

204 DSG 4Motion
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Are all the plastic lenses on the front of headlights the same size? I have cracked one of my LEDs and I’m wondering if I can get a cheap H4 get the cover off and put it on the LED??
i’m thinking it must be as they all sit in the same size housing.
TIA.:thumbsup:

They are an absolute pig to try and take apart. I tried to get some H4s apart to fit some bi-xenon projectors inside, but gave up and binned them. I did some on a Fabia. 10 mins at 100 degrees with the oven door open a smidge and they simply pulled apart.

Thanks for the replies lads! Hmmmm….not sure whether to even attempt it… I suppose there’s nothing to lose if I can pick up one side h4 unit cheap….

Je suis intéressé par la façon dont vous avez fait !
Répète?

I'm interested in how you did it !

I used a pair of H4’s as a donor.
I cut the rear ‘shell’ as close to the lens as I safely could, then removed the remaining bits of the shell with a blade. This left some remnants of glue, which again a blade was able to remove.

With the LEDs, I bought some of the many offerings which have lens damage.
Making the hole large enough for me to get my hand in and grab the lens, I heated the glue which holds the lens to the shell and began working it lose, using a blade and a flat head screwdriver to separate the two.

Be careful you don’t overheat the shell and cause permanent damage - a little bend is ok, but some of the lugs are small and become brittle when they cool down.

I found the easiest way was to have the headlamp in my lap on top of a large blanket, as this and some gloves prevented me stabbing myself :geek:

Resealing is straight forward - clear any leftover adhesive from the lens and the channel the lens sits in, fill with a decent adhesive, insert the lens and clamp the whole lot closed with some ratchet-straps or similar.

Back