[Guide] Replacing EGR Cooler On A 180PS Engine

buchanan84

T6 Pro
Ok not aiming for a how to but just replaced the egr valve and cooler on my van.

Van is a 2015 T6 kombi, dsg and 4 motion with the 180bhp CFCA engine

Was throwing egr related fault codes and putting it in limp mode. Had never noticed it using any oil or water so wasn't too worried about bigger problems (thought that was sorted out in the later T5.1's...) decided to change the egr valve and cooler as had heard it was almost impossible to remove the valve from the cooler

Bought the egr valve and cooler from carparts4less/eurocarparts for about £400
And got new gaskets for the metal pipes (3 x 03L131547N)

Have a dodgy copy of the vw workshop manuals that I bought from eBay so just followed that (if someone more tech savvy wanted to link/add...)

Basically
Drain oil + water
Remove bumper skin (I broke the T piece feeding the light washers)
Front bumper assembly (radiators, fan etc.) Slides forward 15cm on special pins that I bought (reckon you could use threaded bar, think M8)
Disconnect metal exhaust gas pipes
Disconnect water pipes (spring clips all facing the wrong way, I had a tool that helped with this) FLEXIBLE LOCKING HOSE CLAMP PLIER FUEL PIPE CLIPS CAR BRAKE TOOL LONG REACH UKME 5060427680532 | eBay

Unbolt the cooler, hard to see but 4 obvious ones and one bigger bolt in a slightly strange place)
Pull off vacuum hose and unclip egr valve plug
Lift out

Refitting
Remember to plug in egr valve and vacuum pipe before bolting up

Not too bad to do, took most of yesterday outside with the front up on 2 ramps
Need spline bits and torx (also long thin extension and bits, I used a 1/4" set)

What I found,
Old cooler was marked August 2015 revC... New one was rev D and had a sticker over the VW part number so no worries on part quality
Tried removing the valve from the old cooler and no chance, much hammering and prying and broke it out, black and minging inside but didn't look choked, little vacuum valve was sticky compared to new but hard to tell much about the egr valve itself... But no sign of oil or water where it shouldn't be
IMAG1688.jpg IMAG1690.jpg IMAG1684.jpg IMAG1686.jpg IMAG1687.jpg
IMAG1693.jpg IMAG1697.jpg

Nice write up, is it possible to see which rev of the EGR without disassembling anything?

Where did you get the sliding pins from please ?
top job wanting to do myself soon i think . . .

Just off Ebay, vw part no t10228

Tho just mistyped it in Ebay and found this

Back