Replacing Caravelle carpet with vinyl

Bryanf

So here is my step by step on how I removed the carpet in a 2017 caravelle and replace it with IVC black bamboo vinyl..in the process I also added additional sound deadening, insulation and some cables for 240v and 12v sockets..the job is fairly straight forward but this is not a basic DIY job I think some good level of practical skills are required. All trims have to be removed and you need to make sure the new vinyl thickness will allow the rail trims to click back into place. With the sound deadening and vinyl this was on the verge of being too thick so take this a word of caution if you are thinking of adding in the additional sound proofing (it’s not needed but will help reduce road noise). Also don’t make the same mistake as me and cut the vinyl to the boot profile leave an overhang at this point so you can cut it to shape once it is back in place. Good luck I think it has been well worth it to not worry about sand and mud

8ACB4D3D-6C8D-448E-8EB3-DB1B51BA7876.jpegB2B3A424-D60F-4F66-9599-B3EEA4FC464F.jpegA6EF1BA3-AEEE-4DC0-B2F8-15CA45C1C637.jpeg8ACB4D3D-6C8D-448E-8EB3-DB1B51BA7876.jpegB2B3A424-D60F-4F66-9599-B3EEA4FC464F.jpegA6EF1BA3-AEEE-4DC0-B2F8-15CA45C1C637.jpeg

Attachments

• 2017 caravelle carpet to vinyl 1.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 489
  • 2017 caravelle carpet to vinyl 2.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 320
Brilliant, I've been contemplating this job for a while and a write up like this makes it all the more appealing. Thanks @Bryanf !

Great post and instructions. I have been thinking about this as I have a single slider so have a gap where the OEM floor is cut for the off-side slider. I haven't decided if to fit vinyl or another carpet.

I just found the carpet too much hassle with the kids, dog and half the beach..our first trip all loaded up down to the beach and it was soo much easier with a quick brush out afterwards

I just found the carpet too much hassle with the kids, dog and half the beach..our first trip all loaded up down to the beach and it was soo much easier with a quick brush out afterwards
So the vinyl you fitted gave a tight fit, I would be worried the aluminium trim would be loose if the vinyl was too thin.

Getting the right thickness was a concern but as I was adding sound deadening and the vinyl was less forgiving than a compressible carpet. So my concern was it might be too thick and the aluminium trims wouldn’t clip back into place..I did have one area which caused an issue where I had a cable running under the floor..so I had to re run the wire to lower the floor a fraction (mm’s) and in turn to allow the trims to clip into place..

Getting the right thickness was a concern but as I was adding sound deadening and the vinyl was less forgiving than a compressible carpet. So my concern was it might be too thick and the aluminium trims wouldn’t clip back into place..I did have one area which caused an issue where I had a cable running under the floor..so I had to re run the wire to lower the floor a fraction (mm’s) and in turn to allow the trims to clip into place..

So in your opinion would the vinyl be the correct thickness if you hadn't added the sound deadening? What make was the vinyl?

Hi yes I think it would be..the carpet is thin I’d say it is probably only about 3-4mm thick and the vinyl must be the same..I used IVC isafe black bamboo...

Back