1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Wing Mirror

Discussion in 'Exterior Styling, Bodywork & Detailing' started by Flash, 5 Dec 2016.

1. Flash

Flash New Member

Hi All,
    After some advice regarding the replacement of Power Fold Wing Mirror. Some boy racer has just taken mine clean off (Parts of distributed far & wide) is it best to stick with VW parts or are some of the aftermarket non OEM ones ok?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member Admin Moderator VCDS User

Map
    Collect as many parts as possible as the aerials are inside the wing mirrors, aftermarket mirrors fit and work but generally dont come with the aerials inside
    A complete genuine VW one with aerials (model dependant) is around £300-400 unpainted

3. Flash

Flash New Member

Pauly, thanks for the advice, pretty gutted that the mirror is damaged to the extent that it is, guess I just wanted a cheap fix but VW seems to have the winning edge.
    Cheers.

4. Pauly

Map
    Genuine are available in component form so you may not need to replace everything depending on damage

5. Flash

Flash New Member

I will have a good look, hopefully as you say I won't need every bit of it. Really annoying as he did stop until he seen me getting out of the van, then as you guessed he did one as rather a rapid speed, that said looking at my mirror his car must be damaged (hopefully)

6. Pauly

Map
    Heres the ETKA diagram each numbered piece is available individually, i have prices for most of the pieces, let me know what bits and i can give you an idea of cost

IMG_3555.JPG

7. Flash

Flash New Member

Pauly that's tip top, once I have looked properly I will give you a shout, thanks.

8. DaveyB

DaveyB Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Jeez, if he was that close to the van, thank god it was only the mirror, k**bhead could have taken out the whole side of the van. If you have power folding mirrors, there has recently been a couple of threads on here about using the T5 mirrors and a separately sourced control box to make them fold on alarm activation (as its not possible 'yet' with the T6 components), may be worth a looksee if you've got to replace one anyway.

9. Flash

Flash New Member

DaveyB at the time looking on the positives, that was exactly the response that I gave to my wife, could have been the whole side needing repair, still gutted that the t--t didn't stop for any length of time!

10. Caravellet6

Caravellet6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Did you get his number, failing to stop is an offence....

11. Flash

Flash New Member

Caravellet6, unfortunately not, for the brief moment that he stopped I could not read his plate, in fact I'm not even sure that it was a standard (legal) plate.

12. Markey

Markey Member VIP Member

Map
    Whats the easiest way to unclip the rear cap (No13) without breaking anything