Replacement Wing Mirror - OEM or aftermarket?

Flash

Hi All,
After some advice regarding the replacement of Power Fold Wing Mirror. Some boy racer has just taken mine clean off (Parts of distributed far & wide) is it best to stick with VW parts or are some of the aftermarket non OEM ones ok?
Thanks in advance.

Collect as many parts as possible as the aerials are inside the wing mirrors, aftermarket mirrors fit and work but generally dont come with the aerials inside
A complete genuine VW one with aerials (model dependant) is around £300-400 unpainted

Pauly, thanks for the advice, pretty gutted that the mirror is damaged to the extent that it is, guess I just wanted a cheap fix but VW seems to have the winning edge.
Cheers.

Genuine are available in component form so you may not need to replace everything depending on damage

I will have a good look, hopefully as you say I won't need every bit of it. Really annoying as he did stop until he seen me getting out of the van, then as you guessed he did one as rather a rapid speed, that said looking at my mirror his car must be damaged (hopefully)

Heres the ETKA diagram each numbered piece is available individually, i have prices for most of the pieces, let me know what bits and i can give you an idea of cost

IMG_3555.JPG

Jeez, if he was that close to the van, thank god it was only the mirror, k**bhead could have taken out the whole side of the van. If you have power folding mirrors, there has recently been a couple of threads on here about using the T5 mirrors and a separately sourced control box to make them fold on alarm activation (as its not possible 'yet' with the T6 components), may be worth a looksee if you've got to replace one anyway.

DaveyB at the time looking on the positives, that was exactly the response that I gave to my wife, could have been the whole side needing repair, still gutted that the t--t didn't stop for any length of time!

Caravellet6, unfortunately not, for the brief moment that he stopped I could not read his plate, in fact I'm not even sure that it was a standard (legal) plate.

I also hit something with my right mirror. So I just want to know, is it possible to remove only that rear cap since that is a bit displaced? And like the above question any suggestions for the novice?

Just changed mine and are a bit of a pain to do so have plenty of patience to hand

Tip the glass forward, reach in the top and pull toward you and it will pop off, 2 wires to pull off the glass too (heated)

2 small torx screws then to remove holding piece 11 and 6 together

Then the whole 3 pieces 6,11 & 13 are just clipped together

Get some trim tools and start pulling them apart (not easy and you may break some clips)

I’m away from computer send me a pm to remind me and will sort it tomo
The bottom trim is about £6-7 and the top case primed is twenty odd quid I think

A complete genuine VW one with aerials (model dependant) is around £300-400 unpainted

To be honest that's not too bad a price all in, I had someone do the same on my Qashqai mirror (when I had it) and that was over £500, that was also heated, auto-fold but also had puddle lights, indicators and a camera in it.

Back