EGR cleaned but still having issues.

I’m having the same issue with the constant coolant loss and issues turning over the engine when cold. Since removing my coolant lid slightly so pressure can’t build and I haven’t had a problem since, starts 1st time every time. Took it into VW and told them the issues so pressure tested the coolant system and found the egr coolant to be losing pressure. I’m now told as it is just out of warranty it will £1500 to supply and fit a new egr coolant etc. Seems a little steep? What do you guys think?

yes, according to the workshop manual its just the fuel filter and bits in that area to get to it. No mention of the front end removal. But if they only charged the fixed time for the job and no more for the front end removal then that's up to them I guess.

loz is right, coolant bottle and hoses, diesel filter, starter motor and disconnect front and rear egr pipes. No front end removal

Egr valve replaced, naturally they discovered lots of advisory’s to try and get a cheeky grand out of me, I declined as can sort self

now to test their efforts, velle out for the day today, only 150 miles so tomorrow or day after if not sorted I’ll expect to need to top up coolant, it was going for about 300/400 miles between top ups, I have ensured to get them to agree that it’s an ongoing matter if it continues and still under warranty

watch this space,

I’ve just put piece of paper under the exhaust whilst the engine was running & after a few minutes water started dripping out. I put my head down to have a closer look & got a whiff of hot coolant coming from the exhaust, so I’m definitely thinking it’s the EGR cooler. It’s out of warranty, so looks like it’s going to cost me a bit when we get home.
Stu. Don’t go down the non VW part route to save a few quid. My local garage sourced and did the job with a pattern part for £400. It failed after 3 weeks. Turns out there is a problem with non OE ones sometimes. Now have a genuine one fitted by VW main dealer. It’s a £700 parts and labour job, but being done at a main dealer you have an absolute right to freak out if it isn’t fixing the faults. My original garage is a trusted garage that I have used for years and they are doing a full refund and warranty return on the part that they fitted. No questions. So honest garages are out there too and I don’t hold them responsible for non OE parts not being up to the job. It took my VW centre 5 days to get parts in.

Sounds like the originals are not a lot better than the pattern ones. Probably down to value engineering on VWs part. Agree with above no reason to take front of van off to do this job, EGR is on back of engine. Best solution would be to blank off EGR and get light programmed out, another rule set by the EU that we are stuck with.
Baz

Update, 450 miles covered and no warnings as yet, headed out shortly and will manually check the level

Sorry to jump on this thread but having a similar issue on a 2015 T6 Caravelle.

Coolant light comes on, top it up and can be fine for days then needs topping up again. When I under the cap after a drive it is almost all ways under pressure and can sometimes go right up to the max line again if not a little higher.

Recently I have been undoing the cap after each drive and so far no loss of water it seems.

Taking a better look I have noticed a bit of water under the expansion tank, I'm no mechanic but if this is leaking a little bit how much water could this really let out as the engine bay isn't sprayed with water.

Thanks

IMG_0128.JPG

That leak needs fixing, once it’s repaired check the level isn’t still dropping.

So far my euro 6 ,102 has had 3 VW egr cleans its now out of warranty
I do a minimum of 40 miles per day on A roads and dual caraways , run it premium fuel with regular service .
Would you recommend letting VW clean it again or try carbon clean ect ? I wish it was as easy to take off and clean as my old T5 egr.
The yellow light has just come on again the van runs fine and has had the Adblue update .

so had the usual EML on recently and cleared the fault only for it to return as EGR Cooler low flow.

Booked it into my local Vw car dealership south Lakes Hadwins.
They ran the diagnostics and came to the same conclusion that the egr valve and cooler needed replacing. They didnt bother going down the cooler flush route.

Went to VW warranty and they said they wanted internal proof the EGR wasnt blocked with carbon before they would approve the replacement. So I had to gamble 2 hours labour to see if it was blocked or not (see pic below).

Vw approved it and changed it which i was quite suprised about know peoples struggles on here. I also had the squeaky aux belt and tensioner which i knew was under a service bulletin, first they said they would do it under warranty then went back on it and said it doesnt cover noises, bit ridiculous.

But overall pretty pleased with the service from them.

Screenshot_20200930-204202_Email.jpg

I didn’t bother going to the dealer, as my warranty expired in March. I bit the bullet and put a new one on. Expensive but I didn’t want to bother with all the inconvenience of flushing the EGR when a new one should give me the reliability I want.

Reactions: mmi
Back