Renogy DCC50S woes

bmc054

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello
I’ve been running one of these for the past month with no issues been doing it’s job fine
Had a look today and it seems to have stopped charging,no light on for the solar or the alternator but the voltage is reaching the unit ok 19v on the solar at the renogy and 14. odd from the alternator when running.I have an ign live connected and that is reading ok too
Any ideas please?
Is there a reset anywhere?
Thanks in advance
Bob

got a few pics of your install.?

have you got any LEDS on at all?

1590674307551.png

whats the AUX battery voltage? The unit need to SEE the battery to enable the charger

is the ground good and secure.

heres the install guide . . . .

its possible that the AUX battery is too low? so the unit cant see it? - get a volt reading.

to reset you need to disconnect the all the power feeds.

so isolated the alternator input fuse,

the AUX battery output fuse,

and remove the green blocks for IGN and BVS.

wait 60sec.

that should hard reset the unit.

then reconnect the above.

Thanks Dell
I’ve disconnected everything at the moment but the only leds on were the battery type and the battery which were both green .

battery type - green - default SLA. . . .

1590675089239.png
1590675041931.png

battery LED - service battery GREEN implys the battery is 100% full.

1590675111912.png

1590675139692.png

what the AUX battery voltage?

The aux battery was 12.7
thanks

so its 100% full.

what makes you think rthe charger is not working?

you need to run down the battery a bit by turning things on. . . . . for a test

I ran it down to 12.4 to see if it would charge again but nothing happened
How low would you recommend for a test Dell ?
Thanks

no lower that 11.9 for an AGM id say . . . .

here is some bits from my unit . . .

Thanks a lot Dell will connect it all back up
could well have been charging without the alt light on and been too full to let the solar get involved
Thanks again
Bob

yeh, I've seen 1-2A charge . . .

maybe you need above 4A to bring on the charge cycle?

keep us posted.

You can interrogate the DCC50S with a laptop, a modbus master application, and a RS485/USB converter. I have a list of the renogy parameters and their addresses.

There is a dozen or so possible faults that can be seen, and a load of voltage/current/status information too.

Also I have an arduino based project that can display the renogy info. If it's any use to you I can post the code.

Alternatively, renogy told me that they will have their own display available in July, how reliable this date is I have no idea.

Hi T6jay
I think I will wait for renogys offering,the other route is a bit technical for me,what’s thrown me today is every time I plugged the solar in before the led illuminated as did the alt light when I started the engine.I haven’t altered anything only changed the egr cooler yesterday and checked the dcc50 whilst doing the job and noticed no leds only the two green lights.
I will take Dells advice and run the leisure battery down to see what happens
Thanks for your help

Well I plugged the cool box in this morning at 08.30 and let the battery run down to 12.3 then had to nip out so started the engine and nothing at all on the bm2.Nipped to my parents ,stop start twice and nothing at all happening.Usually there’s a spike every time the engine starts then the alt takes over charging.I then unplugged the cool box and the leisure battery levelled out on the bm2
I checked and there’s voltage at the connectors from the alt+ and the pv but nothing going through the unit
I’ve removed it now and have contacted Renogy for advice
Will keep this thread advised of the outcome
Bob

6EA25C97-83D1-4D60-BF9F-9AC48DAD1249.png

C2BA94E1-DB78-438A-9E58-5DB204817556.png

Is your ground connection on the unit good?

Still two green lights again . . . . . ? Showing battery 100% like before?

Hi Dell
One yellow light for normal and one green for the battery type
I checked the voltage from the alt cable onto the earth cable and it read the same as the starter battery
I’ve used the earthing stud under the drivers seat.

What about the Aux battery ground conection?

Back