Removing Wheels.

nigeltreves

Roofer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Afternoon all. Decided to remove my wheels to give them a good clean. Undid all nuts but wheel refuses to budge. Any suggestions? Cheers

That's not unusual, if they are alloys, it corrodes and they can be a nightmare to remove. I would normally sit on the floor and boot the crap out of them with trainers on.
Failing that, a block of wood and big mallet against the rear of the wheel, whist turning the wheel, but make sure someone is the other side to catch them if they come off.

Theres a whole other thread in here somewhere about this, and what to use to stop it happening.

If you are going to whack them from the insides, leave the wheel bolts in a couple of threads. Or as suggested earlier, loosen the bolts and drive it backwards and forwards a few feet.

When I first took off my banded steels which were stuck to the hub centre, I spent ages hitting the back of the tyre and they just wouldn't come off, so in a fit of frustration nd rage I thrashed the face of the tyre and lo and behold they popped off easily

That's not unusual, if they are alloys, it corrodes and they can be a nightmare to remove. I would normally sit on the floor and boot the crap out of them with trainers on.
Failing that, a block of wood and big mallet against the rear of the wheel, whist turning the wheel, but make sure someone is the other side to catch them if they come off.

Theres a whole other thread in here somewhere about this, and what to use to stop it happening.
What he said . . . . . . smash the granny out of it.. (heavy rubber mallet and a lump of wood)

but leave two wheel bolts on a few turns so you dont loose the wheel down the road or take chunks out of it when it come flying off.

I've found loosening them and then driving a few feet forward/backwards then braking hard shocks a tight wheel loose

I've found loosening them then rock van from side to side does the trick

When they are off clean the hubs and wheel face then put a tiny smear of anti sieze paste on both. They won't stick again.

Back