Removing the Rear Bumper [Guide]

ChrisKites

Hi guys, I'm new around here. Just received my first Volkswagen Campervan. It's the T6 California Beach.
First thing I did was taking the exterior and interior cockpit trim apart to wrap the van in a two tone color.

I got stuck at the rear bumper, I just couldn't seem te get it off. So I started looking around on youtube and google to see how to do it. Didn't really find any video or picture explanation on it anywhere. One was for a T5 but still kinda vague. I ended up just trying and broke a few clips because I didn't know how the bumper was held in place. So here it is. A little video and a few pics to point out what you need to to to remove it.

View media item 2171View media item 2172View media item 2173View media item 2175View media item 2174

Welcome to the forum Chris,

Nice work and well done for posting the vid. =]

Hi all, I've been messing with the back bumper protector.

I've just watched @ChrisKites bumper removal guide which was really informative - thanks. When I remove mine at some stage, my question is - Is there any adjustment in the main bumper frame? I ask because the bumper protector I applied last year has been rubbing the bottom of the o/s barn door and I could do with lowering the bumper body down about 2mm. To the eye, everything looks straight but I've noticed the o/s corner is slightly raised.

There'll come a time where the door will have to be painted because the damage is done so I think I'll get it sorted when I get a couple of other items done. In the mean time I'd like to lower the bumper body a bit and get some etching primer on the bottom edge of the door.

I thought it was a simple case of me not applying the protector flat and even but having removed it, it definitely was. Anyway I flat sanded a portion of the protector underside down a bit, in principle it could have worked but didn't because the 3M tape was still too tall and it was the flattest I could find locally. What's really strange is, there's ample room across the rest of the bumper. There's no evidence of accident damage that is obvious but I realise panels can distort slightly in car park nudges - Who knows??

PIc's to follow all being well. Cheers.

This happens normally when the rear bumper has not been refitted correctly to the row of clips along the middle

I have had the same issue I had my bumper off refitted it then had the rubbing, very annoying but you can release the bumper on one side ( the side closest to the side that is raised pull it out slightly and if you peel the tailgate or barn door seal off the body you’ll see how the bumper is supposed to sit in it’s mounts and you’ll be able to slip it in correctly

This is a really useful video, but it's confused me a little as I am trying to relate the T6 bumper in the video with mine - which you can see has dropped from the main body due to what looks like an impact on the driver's side:

Bumper.jpg

The video shows a bumper without the protruding sections (seen within the gap between the bumper and the main body) like mine, which have snapped and cause the bumper to drop. I'm trying to figure out if i need to replace the bumper, or if it is a failure elsewhere. I know i won't know this until i can take it all apart (which is the real challenge at the moment because of time!). Has anyone else had this issue?

Hi guys, I'm new around here. Just received my first Volkswagen Campervan. It's the T6 California Beach.
First thing I did was taking the exterior and interior cockpit trim apart to wrap the van in a two tone color.

I got stuck at the rear bumper, I just couldn't seem te get it off. So I started looking around on youtube and google to see how to do it. Didn't really find any video or picture explanation on it anywhere. One was for a T5 but still kinda vague. I ended up just trying and broke a few clips because I didn't know how the bumper was held in place. So here it is. A little video and a few pics to point out what you need to to to remove it.

View media item 2171View media item 2172View media item 2173View media item 2175View media item 2174
Thanks for posting this.

hi thanks for posting, i am looking to buy replacement parts for the bumper, the black plastic sections under the visual bumper for the left and right side. the issue i have is there is a lot of movement and on inspection the clip heads have been broken off by some idiot previous to me owning the van. Does anyone know what part these are and where i might be able to get them? thanks Daniel

Back