Removing The Heater Control Surround / Trim?

Montecha

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've finally got an 'OEM+' heater control trim that I'm happy with, and going to fit.

Before I just wade in with my trusty trim tool and lever it all off an break something, any hints/tips from those that have done this before?

Do the buttons come out with the trim, or do they need to come out before removing the trim?

This is what I'm trying to fit. Hydro dipped version.

A588AE04-BC6C-4950-90FE-1B1B57674F92.jpeg

Gave it a blast - the blanks clip out from the back, the switches have a metal clip top and bottom that just needs compressing and a push. So quite straight forward.

All done and the Mongrel Comfort dash now looks half decent.

12210F4A-C82E-4AC4-BE29-BC86D2789AA8.jpeg

Very smart! Have you got the same colour trim under the gauges (it’s hard to work out in this photo) or is that next?

Very smart! Have you got the same colour trim under the gauges (it’s hard to work out in this photo) or is that next?

That's the last bit to swap, wasn't going to do it - but decided in the week that it needs to be gloss black like everything else.

how did you find the fit and quality of the van x kit buddy ?

I only used the glove box - didn’t use the vent covers as I bought the Caravelle vents with the flow adjusters.

In terms of fit - it’s ok. I couldn’t get the bottom / hidden screw in. But secure enough. I’ve lined it with rubber mat to kill any rattles.

I think they should have put the hinge on the bottom and not the top. Then it would stay open. I don’t use the space inside - it purely cosmetic for me to make dash look better - the comfort centre console has the storage space I need.

Hi Montecha, I have a comfort dash & the gloss black heater surround has got damaged. I want to replace it. Is it straight forward to remove heater controls as I'm assuming they've got to be removed to replace surround ? Also do you know if stainless inserts on dash have to be removed for access to? If so, us just a trim tool to ping them off . Thx

The heater controls remain fixed and the trim pulls over over it. I removed the trim around the screen first which just pullas off. I can't remember if you need to do that first or not.

Hi Montecha, I have a comfort dash & the gloss black heater surround has got damaged. I want to replace it. Is it straight forward to remove heater controls as I'm assuming they've got to be removed to replace surround ? Also do you know if stainless inserts on dash have to be removed for access to? If so, us just a trim tool to ping them off . Thx

As said earlier - when you take the radio surround / vents off, then you can get a trim tool into the back of the heater surrounds. The switches are held in the surround, just watch the wiring as it comes out.

I've finally got an 'OEM+' heater control trim that I'm happy with, and going to fit.

Before I just wade in with my trusty trim tool and lever it all off an break something, any hints/tips from those that have done this before?

Do the buttons come out with the trim, or do they need to come out before removing the trim?

This is what I'm trying to fit. Hydro dipped version.

View attachment 23325

Hi mate do you have a part number or a link can't find it anywhere

Cheers

Tiff

Back