Removing rear heater / AC unit from Shuttle

Duggers83

Hi,

I would like to remove the rear AC unit from my '17 Shuttle. Can anyone provide advice on this subject OR recommend who I could speak to or the work, please? After speaking with a few garages, unfortunately, it doesn't sound straightforward.

Many thanks,
Ben

Why?

the whole lot or just rear ducting?
Hi, the whole unit. The van is going to be a camper, Shuttle wasn't my first choice, but the spec/price was very good so I went for it. I'm considering options to remove it in order to free up space. Thanks for your reply.

would like to know this as i bought a 17 plate shuttle to convert because it had windows and a tailgate

would like to know this as i bought a 17 plate shuttle to convert because it had windows and a tailgate
Having spoken to a few local garages people are reluctant to quote on it – doesn't sound straightforward. It has got me wondering if this is a good idea at all! Does your shuttle have a second battery under the front passenger seats? Do you know what this is for?

Someone here has already done it but i cant remember the name ......
Have a search around im sure theres some info somewhere

Having spoken to a few local garages people are reluctant to quote on it – doesn't sound straightforward. It has got me wondering if this is a good idea at all! Does your shuttle have a second battery under the front passenger seats? Do you know what this is for?
haven't checked, only bought it yesterday

Is it 100% AC or is it heat and recirc? Mine was only heat and recirc.
I removed every and put a join on the heater hose for a while but am now fitting a heat exchanger to use the parking heat as a shower and hot water source.
The van is now a full on camper but no where near finished, complete but not finished..... ever.

If its AC you will need to get a cap made or check the parts diagrams for the none ac and ac version as I am pretty sure there is a valve somewhere which you can replace with a blank so that you only have front AC if that makes sense.
As I did not have rear AC I did not need to go into that but I did look at doing a similar thing with the heater pipes which had one less pair of Ts for the rear exchanger.

In terms of the wiring I have not had to do anything. I just disconnected the plugs.
I will wire something in at some point so I can use the "rear" button on the heater dials to turn something on.

Shes not looking too shabby, works which is the main thing. I have a cadac & bbq point for the other side so its not a complete waste of time having the other sliding door.
She gets everywhere from beach days to weekends away with the quad, work weekends away and also driveway camping recently ha ha.
The idea of a M1 type shuttle is just a nicer way of doing 70mph etc without the worry like the kombi's etc.

Where the heater unit was I have 2x 110ah batteries which are on a slider. These are under the wardrobe and are fed by a 400w solar system.

If you get stuck give me a shout, I may find some older piccys from when I was stripping it all out.

20200706_200613_resized.jpg

20200705_095824_resized.jpg

20200404_102155_resized.jpg

20200404_102153_resized.jpg

Do you mean this unit? Its only plumbed into the engine coolant circuit and a few wires. No air con. I can post more pics if needed. I posted recently that some of the inner metal panels have bits cut out to fit the heater.

CB242A69-A217-46AC-8452-6C7DCFB5F26E.jpeg

Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it! Here’s a pic of my unit. I’m torn as to what to do with it. On one hand it’s a really useful bit of kit, on the other how useful is it if the engine needs to be running to use it.

have either of you experience/ knowledge of the additional battery under the front passenger seat?

Many thanks again,
Ben

DF5EF190-A88B-45EA-8183-72A60C57E782.jpeg

@Duggers83 did you sell your original seats? i have leather seating all in mint condition and plan on selling to raise funds for conversion.

@Duggers83 did you sell your original seats? i have leather seating all in mint condition and plan on selling to raise funds for conversion.
I’ve removed and in great condition but haven’t tried very hard to sell yet. Sounds like I’m about two weeks ahead of you! Listed the seats of here. Will be adding to eBay when I get a moment. Definitely need to make it a priority as they’re taking up loads of space in my garage!

I’ve removed and in great condition but haven’t tried very hard to sell yet. Sounds like I’m about two weeks ahead of you! Listed the seats of here. Will be adding to eBay when I get a moment. Definitely need to make it a priority as they’re taking up loads of space in my garage!
middle ones, sell for 700, thats the 3 singles, back bench 3-400, just going by what i have saw, need to be patient, my last van was a t4 caravelle, had it 8 year, was the same regarding selling seats, looked at a panel van an hour before i bought the shuttle lol

middle ones, sell for 700, thats the 3 singles, back bench 3-400, just going by what i have saw, need to be patient, my last van was a t4 caravelle, had it 8 year, was the same regarding selling seats, looked at a panel van an hour before i bought the shuttle lol

those prices would include all floor brackets, belts etc. You can buy 3 brand new delivery mileage shuttle seats for £675 on ebay (LeisureUK)

Ian

those prices would include all floor brackets, belts etc. You can buy 3 brand new delivery mileage shuttle seats for £675 on ebay (LeisureUK)

Ian
yes i should have said, i will be removing brackets and belts, i will fit single passenger seat and a rib bed in rear.

Good luck. It’s a hell of a job! 32 bolts later you’ll be very familiar with the underside of your van.

Good luck. It’s a hell of a job! 32 bolts later you’ll be very familiar with the underside of your van.
work in a bodyshop, 32 bolts is nothing, gonna need to get to know the underside anyway, spent loads of time under my t4 lol

Back