Removing my ABT bumper?

HellaYella

T6 Pro
Just bought this van and thinking of going the Swamper route, so may sell the ABT bumper - what’s it worth and where do I get a replacement one more suited to a Swamper ?

DB40520F-A1A1-4F27-A552-8B7CDDB090FE.jpeg

Totally new to VW’s so please educate me.
can the bumper above be removed and replaced with a standard one or is there an aftermarket Swamper bumper more suited ? Cheers

I would think you have 3 options.
1 Remove and sell ABT splitter leaving you with a high line bumper.
2 remove the complete bumper sell it complete and buy a high line replacement.
3 as above but buy an unpainted commercial bumper.

Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated !
Would you know how the splitter is likely to be a fixed ? (I don’t collect the van until next week) and is it worth anything ?

Just bought this van and thinking of going the Swamper route, so may sell the ABT bumper - what’s it worth and where do I get a replacement one more suited to a Swamper ?

View attachment 114222

Depending on who fitted the ABT kit, it might be bonded on like the Sportline Splitters often are and from my experience, removing it will lead to needing paintwork where it was bonded.

As for what's it worth. They are a Marmite extra, some love the ABT kit, some hate it, just like the Sportline bolt-ons, so it's worth what someone will pay for it.
Saying that, you have the most popular colour, which is idea when selling.

Until you know if it's just the ABT plastics you have to sell, or potentially the full bumper if it's bonded, it's not an easy part to price up, but I'd say the whole bumper is worth around £250-£400 and the plastics if removed and not damaged in the process without the rest of the bumper, could be worth £100-£300, depending on who actually wants this kit. My prices are based on what the genuine Sportline kit sells for, because I've never seen the ABT come up for sale.

If this was mine and I wanted to go down the Swamper route, I'd stick the whole front bumper on the forum Sales page as a PX for a standard Highline front bumper in the same Grey. That way you could do a straight swap, with a little cash your way and save any costly bodyshop paintwork if the kit is bonded on.

Plus you'd get to meet another member in the process whilst you do the driveway swap over, which is quite an easy DIY job.

Last edited:
Depending on who fitted the ABT kit, it might be bonded on like the Sportline Splitters often are and from my experience, removing it will lead to needing paintwork where it was bonded.

As of for what's it worth. They are a Marmite extra, some love the ABT kit, some hate it, just like the Sportline bolt-ons, so it's worth what someone will pay for it.
Saying that, you have the most popular colour, which is idea when selling.

Until you know if it's just the ABT plastics you have to sell, or potentially the full bumper if it's bonded, it's not an easy part to price up, but I'd say the whole bumper is worth around £250-£400 and the plastics if removed and not damaged in the process without the rest of the bumper, could be worth £100-£300, depending on who actually wants this kit. My prices are based on what the genuine Sportline kit sells for, because I've never seen

Brilliant ! Thank you
I’m now thinking that perhaps I should just buy a complete replacement bumper and store this one away incase I change my mind and want to revert back. The commercial bumper route (suggested above, thank you) appears to be higher than the Sportline original, which is a good thing for a Swamper, but doesn’t have provision for the fog lights. Is there another bumper that will fit that is higher and has the spot lights, perhaps another variant, Caravelle ?
Thanks for the replies, learning, learning !

Brilliant ! Thank you
I’m now thinking that perhaps I should just buy a complete replacement bumper and store this one away incase I change my mind and want to revert back. The commercial bumper route (suggested above, thank you) appears to be higher than the Sportline original, which is a good thing for a Swamper, but doesn’t have provision for the fog lights. Is there another bumper that will fit that is higher and has the spot lights, perhaps another variant, Caravelle ?
Thanks for the replies, learning, learning !
As suggested above I would take the complete bumper off. I would suggest you would get more for the ABT than a Sportline.
The lights in the lower bumper are fog lights not spot lights.
A Highline bumper would come with those.
If you look through this thread then you will see the various bumpers. The ABT kit in your photo is bonded onto a Highline just for reference,

The photo in post 1 is what your van would have looked like before the ABT kit was fitted.

Thanks again !
Looks like I want a replacement Hiline front bumper complete and I’ll store the other one away. Any idea where to get one (ideally in Indium grey) ?

Thanks again !
Looks like I want a replacement Hiline front bumper complete and I’ll store the other one away. Any idea where to get one (ideally in Indium grey) ?
Usual places, on here in the for sale/ wanted section, facebook groups, eBay, gumtree. I dont think it will be that easy, but you may be lucky.

Hi, what did you decide on this? I have a trendline and was looking at an abt splitter. Its in white but Could swap with some cash?

Back