Removing Chrome Side Styling

vanology

Hello.

I'm about to transition from a T5, which I've been running for 6 years, to a T6 TDI 204 4Motion. (I've also had a couple of T4's prior to the current T5). The T6 has had a previous owner who has added a few chrome styling items, namely chrome door handle covers and door handle inserts.

These are attached with 3M tape and I've been advised by Vanstyle that they should come off by warming up with a hair dryer. I'd like to remove them and I'm wandering if anyone's every tried, with any success?

Hiya and welcome; sounds like you've already got the vw bus bug!

I did this job on my old T5 kombi. Misplaced chrome bits are not my thing at all but, each to their own. I used a hairdryer to soften it up, pulled them off and rolled all the left over goo off while it was still warm.

Trim removal tools will help too.

Thanks for the advice. Hoping it’s going to be a relatively easy task and that I don’t find any damage paintwork behind all the chrome!

Plastic trim removal tools are a good investment. Pretty cheap and will enable you to pry the trim off without damaging the paint.

Spray tar remover down the back will soften the adhesive and help remove it from the paint too.

Hello.

I'm about to transition from a T5, which I've been running for 6 years, to a T6 TDI 204 4Motion. (I've also had a couple of T4's prior to the current T5). The T6 has had a previous owner who has added a few chrome styling items, namely chrome door handle covers and door handle inserts.

These are attached with 3M tape and I've been advised by Vanstyle that they should come off by warming up with a hair dryer. I'd like to remove them and I'm wandering if anyone's every tried, with any success?

Hairdryer normally works wonders, then remove any 3m tape with WD40 it might take a few attempts but spray it on and leave it to soak in

Back