Remove security lock to fit window

jedkk

VIP Member
Has anyone (I’m sure someone has) had the issue with an additional lock on the sliding door stopping you from fitting a bonded window. I’m thinking to remove the lock and either weld or fill the hole. It would get covered by the glass, just needs to be water tight. Any one had this or done something. Sorry about the reflection on the image, hopefully you can see the lock

DCF75826-A94E-4E7E-9AE7-FB4D60568FFA.jpeg

I had exactly this on my sliding door. I drilled the rivets out, removed the lock, painted the bare edges before the window fitter arrived. It sits behind the masked area of the window and now you wouldn’t know it was ever there. I’ll see if I have a photo.

That would make things easier. So you’ve not had any issues with rain getting in behind the glass and into the hole.

I had exactly this on my sliding door. I drilled the rivets out, removed the lock, painted the bare edges before the window fitter arrived. It sits behind the masked area of the window and now you wouldn’t know it was ever there. I’ll see if I have a photo.
Here you go… before and after.

Do you have the locks on the tailgate too? If so, worth drilling those rivets out too and painting the bare metal edges, the re-rivet.

673EA92A-649C-4F08-9215-1BDB8793D669.png

48A6C2EA-8133-4054-BC88-245C3DCB63B0.png

That would make things easier. So you’ve not had any issues with rain getting in behind the glass and into the hole.
No, the fitter altered the path of the adhesive marginally. No leaks.

Thanks, the tailgate locks are lower down so haven’t affected the windows
When you take the side door one out, see if the metal edge is bare. If it is, there’s a good chance the tailgate ones will be bare too. This defeats the galvanising so def worth painting over to protect.

Back