Remap

Dave Potts

I've got the 102bhp 2.0 diesel engine and have found that this can be remapped to 170bhp. Anybody else done this remap and if so are there any disadvantages? Better efficiency and speed are the advantages that I can see. Thanks

Apparently the weak link it the 5 speed gearbox, it sounds as if they're prone to early failure after mapping. I have no idea how early this might be or even if it is guaranteed to happen. I asked on the other forum when I was thinking about a T5 and the answer was it would be safe if the torque was applied smoothly and the recommendation was to get Pendle Performance do the remap; Pendle offer a 160bhp remap I believe for the T6. I suppose much will also depend on how you drive too.

My own thoughts/concerns are that the 102 seems to be less prone to engine management faults than other engines; I'm concerned that mucking about with it might change that. Of course I might well be worrying over nothing there, I haven't heard of anyone getting a remap on the euro6 yet

I've also got a 102 that id like to get chipped if it turns out a full conversion in the back makes its sluggish to drive. Im not after speed or anything. Just enough power to pull it's self up hills without struggling too much. All I've read so far is the 5 speed gear box been a weak link.

Mine is the 102 as well, the power is fine, OK it's not going to win any traffic light drag races but for a camper it's plenty good enough. I've only had the one camping trip but we were loaded, it managed OK in Cornwall, only on the steepest of hills were we not able to accelerate in 5th gear but even then we didn't need to change down at all but yes, a few more horses would be nice but not essential

If any of you are near Stonehenge Wiltshire then pop in and drive our T6 which we mapped using Pendle Performance software.

Though not a 102, but a 140 it gives very similar results

If any of you are near Stonehenge Wiltshire then pop in and drive our T6 which we mapped using Pendle Performance software.

Though not a 102, but a 140 it gives very similar results
What are the options available for the 102, they're not listed on the Pendle site?

I had a 2007 102bhp 1.9TDi 5 speed transporter that was remapped by Pendle after only 20k miles. It's now on 80k miles and no gearbox or engine problems.
I then got a 2012 140bhp CR 2.0TDi 6 speed which I got remapped after 25k miles. It's on 51k miles now and have had no issues.

People seem to slate the 5 speed gearbox but I think you just hear the odd horror story rather than all the people that have no issues. After having both gearboxes I prefer the 5 speed and I do quite a bit of cruising on the motorway at 70. I find on twisty A and B roads I'm constantly changing gear in the 6 speed.
If you want big torque (more power) from a remap or tow heavy loads I think the 6 speed or DSG is the way to go for ultimate reliability.
However, if you look after your van (like me) and use it for recreational purposes I don't think you will have any problems from the 5 speed box in standard engine tune or modified by a proper tuning company like Pendle or similar.

I now have a 2017 102bhp 5 speed Euro 6. I will probably get this remapped in a couple of years and think this will be the best of all worlds.

Hope that helps.

Sounds good, once the van has been converted and lowered that shall be my next big expenditure.

@Dave Potts, take a look at this thread.
Just about to Buy...
Bottom of page 1 into 2 gives a lot of info relating to remapping a 102 to 170. It's all captured in a thread that did not start off life as specifically about remapping, which may be why you would not have found it if you searched for the topic. Hope it gives a bit of additional in-site.

5 speeds can't handle high torque coming in low down the rev range.
If remapped properly with torque progressively coming in there wont be an issue.
I had my t5 mapped by elite. To much torque too soon and the gearbox diff eventually broke it's spot welds. Pendle mapped it properly on the new box and it was fine for 40k until written off.

My 150 t6 is mapped my pendle 7500 miles on that map, it's great.

Just out of interest, is there any difference in brakes between a 102 and a 150 or higher?

5 speeds can't handle high torque coming in low down the rev range.
If remapped properly with torque progressively coming in there wont be an issue.
I had my t5 mapped by elite. To much torque too soon and the gearbox diff eventually broke it's spot welds. Pendle mapped it properly on the new box and it was fine for 40k until written off.

My 150 t6 is mapped my pendle 7500 miles on that map, it's great.
How about some numbers Ratty......apologies if I've missed them somewhere. Tell us more......has it improved your fuel consumption issues etc?

314lbft of torque and 188bhp.
Fuel consumption is the same. Ie...absolutely shocking. Over 17800 miles I have averaged 28.5mpg logging every fuel up with fuelly. Compared to my t5.1 doing the same journeys, same loads and also remapped that got 35.2 average.

Back