Remap ..... Just Can’t Decide On Which One

Hmmm claimed figures on sales brochure. Do you really believe them?

My thinking is that the good ones will all be able to achieve about the same and if someone is getting a little extra then will this be at the cost of something else like drivability.

I could be totally wrong here, but I see this not as tuning the engine as you would by altering the pistons, valves, cylinder head, etc. i.e. replacing engine components, but more like de-restricting the engine to its release natural output. So not affecting reliability or making the engine do something it can not accommodate.

I still say go with the one you feel more comfortable with as they will all give you an improvement, but one you can't measure in numbers.

As for the cost vs power increase. If you were ordering your van today and the 204ps was £34'000 with the next engine model of 230ps for £34'500 which box would you be ticking:thumbsdown:

I think there would not be may 204's around but plenty of 230's:thumbsup:
A few years ago I was in the market for a new Audi A6. Test drive the 320PS bi turbo 3.0, but in the end settled on the 272PS. That was because the 320 was 5.5k more expensive for the same number of cylinders (alright had a different turbo). And I knew (had I have kept it long enough) I could have had it remaped to the 300 realm. Had that gap been a grand/ grand and a half, wouldn’t have hesitated in going for the 320.
I think of a remap in exactly the same way as you, in that it is just taking the power output back up to where it should be as they are detuned for the mass market as not everyone looks after their engine the same and manufacturers don’t want the Press of lots of engines blowing up.
That is why a single turbo 102PS can be brought up to match a 150PS single turbo (and beyond). It’s simply because the 102 has in essence been deliberately restricted so that it is more economical.

I’ve used MRC for years on my cars even though they are a 4 hour drive away.

Didn’t think they did much on our spec engines though?

Yeah, had Wagner intercoolers, miltek including decat, race torque converter... cost me a fortune to maintain. Was sick of it in the end
Understood. I binned mine off when it was due the pads n disks.
13l oil change. Silly o_O

As per opening thread really.
I appreciate some don’t see the point, it is horses for courses. I’ve had them done on cars and happy with the results. Other folk think they are a waste of time, I haven’t an issue with the decision they have come to. However the point of the thread was “which one”, not “debate the pro’s and con’s”.
No disrespect intended.
As to engine longevity, how can VW make a 2.0 engine that can be slotted in a Transporter that develops 84PS, and the exact same lump that can deliver 204PS? The block can handle it. They are detuned for the world market anyway. Regular services and good quality oil will see no detriment to engine life.
Mitsubishi can squeeze over 400PS out of a 2 litre lancer without every single one going bang, so the slight increase that a stage one map produces to smooth out the power delivery in any other vehicle isn’t going to damage anything.
I bought a 2.0 Audi A4 avant in 2005, it was a 112PS and was the only thing suitable on the forecourt of Oxford Audi. I really wanted the 135PS version but the dealer clearly wanted to have me buy this particular car from them as it was all they had. The dealer told me about a company called AMD in BIcester, and how they could remap, in line with Audi guidelines to take this one above the 135PS lump. The dealer even took it to that tuner for me before I picked it up. First remap I ever had, car was awesome. And a dealer introduced me to it.
I wasnt asking the pros and cons im merely interested in the thread , im curious of the word mapping , i know nothing about it.
Thats why i asked , because i originally asked if inshould get mine done as part of my build and the mechanic said exactly what i wrote in the last comment ...thats why i asked you so called experts.

I'm due my second service soon. Once that has been completed and the bus fully checked, I will be looking at Pendle. The main reason is their ability to remove mapping should it cause anything go wrong or faulty.

My ideal BHP would be in region of 300, not sure what would be needed to get it to that tho..

I'm due my second service soon. Once that has been completed and the bus fully checked, I will be looking at Pendle. The main reason is their ability to remove mapping should it cause anything go wrong or faulty.

My ideal BHP would be in region of 300, not sure what would be needed to get it to that tho..
Reckon that is stage 2 territory, which will be hardware and not just software; likely intercooler, de-cat, air intake, maybe even turbo.

I’ve used MRC for years on my cars even though they are a 4 hour drive away.

Didn’t think they did much on our spec engines though?
I’m not sure that they do either @Keaney. I put them on my possible list as they are only 2 mile up the road. It could be they only did the blue T5 because of the RS4 lump it was carrying.

Your old RS6 sounds like a weapon.

I have always liked to have my bikes/cars tuned/mapped on the rollers as i believe they are all a bit different so a tweek here and there makes them run better and safer. but it may be just me being old :).

@pendle sounds the best guy for this so that is where i will head to get mine set up and running better.

I’m not sure that they do either @Keaney. I put them on my possible list as they are only 2 mile up the road. It could be they only did the blue T5 because of the RS4 lump it was carrying.

Your old RS6 sounds like a weapon.
Yeah agree they know the engine well so obvious place to take it really

It was, sounded class but I don’t miss the bills

346211C5-940A-4A5A-A2F9-45053E99FCBA.jpeg

Anyway back on topic, I was looking at Pendle a while and have then been considering the TDI tuning box with Bluetooth to change the maps.

Supposedly they don’t flag up on warranty work... like the idea of changeable maps but know that a ecu is normally better

Back