102PS Remap Issue!!!

Jimbo01785

Hi guys,

I had my T6 remapped two days ago. Van was registered (November 2015) it’s the 5- speed 101hp model.
I had it remapped to 177hp by a reputable remapping business.
Today the van has been revving up randomly and even when in neutral to 2500rpm. It’s over revving up wildly and really worrying me.

Any ideas what the issue is please???

I just want the heads up as to what could be wrong with the van before I return to the remap company in the morning tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

sounds a lot of power from a 102 van, I would take it back and get the map taken off if I were you bud

Hi guys,

I had my T6 remapped two days ago. Van was registered (November 2015) it’s the 5- speed 101hp model.
I had it remapped to 177hp by a reputable remapping business.
Today the van has been revving up randomly and even when in neutral to 2500rpm. It’s over revving up wildly and really worrying me.

Any ideas what the issue is please???

I just want the heads up as to what could be wrong with the van before I return to the remap company in the morning tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
As above, speak to the company that did the remap. Give them the opportunity to put it right or remove the map and reimburse you.

Very difficult for anyone to diagnose remotely. Take it back and let them sort it.
177bhp is a lot for that engine, and especially for the gearbox.
How many miles on the clock ?

Pete

Very difficult for anyone to diagnose remotely. Take it back and let them sort it.

Pete
Thanks Pete,
Van has done 86k. When you say the power increase is a lot for the engine, what do you advise as an appropriate increase in HP? And how does the mileage reading affect it?

Pete
They are happy to have a look at the van for me. It’s done 88k mileage.
I just wondered if this is a common issue with remaps

They are happy to have a look at the van for me. It’s done 88k mileage.
I just wondered if this is a common issue with remaps
Many members of this forum have had engine remaps and I wouldn't have thought this was a common problem as I've never seen mention of it on here before.
When it revs up without driver input is there a lot of smoke from the exhaust? Does it smell differently?
Don't drive it if you are not confident that you could deal with the van doing this while you are in gear and on the road!
I'm slightly concerned that it might be running away by burning oil, although this is nothing more than a possibility.

What's the exact engine code - CAAB (no AdBlue) or CXGB (with AdBlue) - see configuration label under dash by steering column.

The power increase is substantial - more than I would be comfortable with, but others here will say no problem.
I would be more concerned with the consequential torque increase affecting the 5 speed gearbox, which is normally the weak link in this chain.
My question about mileage was more about this power increase finding an age/mileage weakened component. It gives the tuner an excuse out i.e. "well the issue is this component, which needed replacing anyway".

Let's see what they say.

Pete

This engine is good for that increase. Remember the 102ps engine is a detuned 140 but with a 5 speed gearbox. Maps have to take the gearbox into account, and keep torque increases down. One of my favourite maps on the euro5 102ps.
With regards to the fault are there any warning lights? I’m sure it will be easy to diagnose by the map company.

The power increase is substantial - more than I would be comfortable with, but others here will say no problem.
I would be more concerned with the consequential torque increase affecting the 5 speed gearbox, which is normally the weak link in this chain.
My question about mileage was more about this power increase finding an age/mileage weakened component. It gives the tuner an excuse out i.e. "well the issue is this component, which needed replacing anyway".

Let's see what they say.

Pete
I agree with you about the gearbox in the long term, but the immediate problem, i.e., the engine revving uncontrollably, is more urgent and almost certainly nothing to do with the gearbox.

I appreciate the feed back from you guys, I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow. I am considering asking to change the map to less power one.....

I'm not an expert, feel free to ignore me, but from what you've described I would not drive or even start the vehicle until the fault has been resolved. IMHO running the engine might result in serious damage, as well as the safety implications of driving a van that spontaneously revs up without you touching the throttle.
Obviously your decision.....

I'm not an expert, feel free to ignore me, but from what you've described I would not drive or even start the vehicle until the fault has been resolved. IMHO running the engine might result in serious damage, as well as the safety implications of driving a van that spontaneously revs up without you touching the throttle.
Obviously your decision.....
The lad won’t sleep tonight now…!

I appreciate the feed back from you guys, I’ll let you know how I get on tomorrow. I am considering asking to change the map to less power one.....
Did they give you the torque figure? As mentioned before the engine tuned correctly will be around that BHP figure but it’s the torque delivery/amount that is important

General vibe is that something could be on the cusp of going pop! And, if it does go pop, it could do it in a bad way. Even gently driving back to have it looked at isn’t really an option as it sounds like you have no control over when the engine will race … and that’s when something might pop! Could they come out to you or could you get a tow to them?

I note there hasn't been an update from the original poster.........when diesel engines start to increase RPM on their own it is often caused by oil being drawn into the intake manifold, usually from worn turbocharger oil seals. Not saying that is the cause here as they normally keep increasing RPM until the engine destroys itself unless the driver is quick enough to engage gear, lift the clutch pedal and brake heavily to stall the engine.

Back