Relocating Courtesy Lights And Linking To Them

Cham13

I need to extend the wiring on the 2 roof courtesy lights so that they can be positioned elsewhere. I would like to feed off these so that the 2 spots in the rear doors also come on when these do.

There are 3 wires feeding into each courtesy light, am I right in thinking I splice into the earth and the red/brown live wire so that it works when the doors are opened?

I need to extend the wiring on the 2 roof courtesy lights so that they can be positioned elsewhere. I would like to feed off these so that the 2 spots in the rear doors also come on when these do.

There are 3 wires feeding into each courtesy light, am I right in thinking I splice into the earth and the red/brown live wire so that it works when the doors are opened?
Splice into the red/black and red/brown.

8DCAA7CC-5EE0-4B37-8D78-D765AD36C79D.jpeg

I equally have lights in the tailgate that come on with the courtesy lights.
Yes the wiring is sh1t3 that’s why i’m having it all stripped out and done again - properly!!!! And no I didn’t do it in the first place.:mad:

Splice into the red/black and red/brown.

View attachment 19014

I equally have lights in the tailgate that come on with the courtesy lights.
Yes the wiring is sh1t3 that’s why i’m having it all stripped out and done again - properly!!!! And no I didn’t do it in the first place.:mad:
Thanks mate. So do you splice the new spot light + into the red/black and the - into the red/brown? If so, what about the brown cable...just leave that alone? Thanks for the info and photo!

Brown = permanent negative
Red/brown = door switched negative
Red/black = positive

Red/brown is the -ve that’s switched by the BCM when you open the doors. Don’t use the brown wire or your lights will stay on constantly

Thanks mate. So do you splice the new spot light + into the red/black and the - into the red/brown? If so, what about the brown cable...just leave that alone? Thanks for the info and photo!
Red/black to +ve of light, brown/red to -ve, leave the brown alone.

About to start a similar job myself with interior lights. Would I be right in thinking the brown wire is a feed suitable for individual reading lights that are not required to work as courtesy lights when the doors are open.

About to start a similar job myself with interior lights. Would I be right in thinking the brown wire is a feed suitable for individual reading lights that are not required to work as courtesy lights when the doors are open.
Yes :thumbsup:

Looking to do a similar job on my van but only wish for the tail lights to come on when switched. So would I be correct in thinking to splice into the red/black & brown of the interior lights and run these into a switch located on the tailgate, then feed the led from the switch ?

Looking to do a similar job on my van but only wish for the tail lights to come on when switched. So would I be correct in thinking to splice into the red/black & brown of the interior lights and run these into a switch located on the tailgate, then feed the led from the switch ?
Yes. Red/black is +ve and brown is permanent -ve. the Red/black is timed by the BCM to turn off after a set time to save the starter battery. It's usually between 20-60 minutes.

Back