Refused Campsite Booking...Not Factory Camper

kg1709

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I had a booking refused earlier as the campsite owners looked up the registration of my van and as it doesn't show it as a camper/motorhome they refused my booking. This is of course completely their choice but I wondered if others had experienced similar? Is this common practice? My van is a Kombi.

er . . . whaaaat.

why is that? - what were you trying to book?

van + tent?

hard standing for caravan or camper?

what site.?

er . . . whaaaat.

why is that? - what were you trying to book?

van + tent?

hard standing for caravan or camper?

what site.?
It was a hard standing pitch with electric. We weren't taking the tent for such a short stayover (2 nights) and this site wouldn't cater for them anyway. (I don't actually need the electric, nor the hard-standing, it was just the right location for BSB at Cadwell Park later in the year). They said something about non-professional conversions previously causing problems with their electrics. I've since booked another site and so will see what happens.

er . . . . well i think i would politely say thank you and walk away.

What?, . . . you are supposed to prove you have a pro-install before you can have a pitch? . . . what about a yearly inspection . . :slow rofl:

Gas Safe cirt as well . . . . ?

Not something I've heard of before. . . lets see if anyone else has had similar.?

I had a booking refused earlier as the campsite owners looked up the registration of my van and as it doesn't show it as a camper/motorhome they refused my booking. This is of course completely their choice but I wondered if others had experienced similar? Is this common practice? My van is a Kombi.
Isnt there a data protection issue going on there ? I'm sure there is a disclaimer on the various reg check sites stating you can only use the service for a legitimate purpose. I would argue checking whether the vehicle is down as a campervan with the DVLA isnt such a purpose....
Tossers

My guess is they've probably had a few "problem guests" turn up in beaten up old builders vans with a mattress in the back, along with 6 crates of Special Brew, 4 unruly children, a football (which will hit your van), an assortment of feral dogs and a few disposable barbeques which they'll put on the grass. We all know the ones, they shout and swear a lot with no regard for others on the site. And it gets worse as the Special Brew gets consumed.
The site owners might be trying to filter out these people.

My guess is they've probably had a few "problem guests" turn up in beaten up old builders vans with a mattress in the back, along with 6 crates of Special Brew, 4 unruly children, a football (which will hit your van), an assortment of feral dogs and a few disposable barbeques which they'll put on the grass. We all know the ones, they shout and swear a lot with no regard for others on the site. And it gets worse as the Special Brew gets consumed.
Yes my thoughts too. I had hoped my communications with the owners might have helped reassure them as to my own intentions but to no avail. Now to get my money back.....

Had the same issue over here 2 years ago. My wife tried to book us into a park on the north coast and all was well until chatting to the admin, said that the van had been self built over the winter. The site refused the booking stating factory campers only. their loss as we found another site 3 miles up the road.

The Data Protection Act won't apply in this case as the information being held on the DVLA's Vehicle Enquiry Service database is about the vehicle not a human individual and is being provided under the terms of the Open Government Licence. According to the DVLA , under the terms of the OG Licence anyone such as the campsite owners may:
  • copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Information;
  • adapt the Information;
  • exploit the Information commercially for example, by combining it with other Information, or by including it in your own product or application.
I understand the DVLA record motor homes and type-approved camper-vans (converted new) as M1 Class whereas commercial vehicles ie vans are recorded as N1 Class. This is presumably what the campsite owners are using to decide whether to accept a booking. Could it be worth applying to change your Vehicle Category on the DVLA database to have it recorded as M1?

in our case, we didn't get as far as the owner checking the database. once my wife said home built, that was it lol

I would think that the site in question is doing itself out of a fair bit of business, there can’t be very many Transporters that are classed as a motor caravan, whether professionally converted or not.

Reactions: Ozi
I would think that the site in question is doing itself out of a fair bit of business, there can’t be very many Transporters that are classed as a motor caravan, whether professionally converted or not.
I agree but I bet they've made the decision for a reason or based on experience, it's always the few that spoil it for the rest.

Even some of the professional converters are struggling to get DVLA to reclassify new 6.1's as motorhomes these days yet a lout with beat up EU5 conversion will still get a booking. Maybe the electrics really is more the reason for their policy here.

Nope, I’ve never been there!!!

I’ve read another forum member have the same issue! I think he even offered to send pics! it reminds me of the time a French campsite was granting me an exception to their “no twin axle caravans” rule….explaining how it was Irish twin axle owners that was their issue! When I rocked up with my Irish passport….!!!

I'm looking forward to an imminent argument with Eurotunnel in the summer then. Booked my crossing as a PV (as per V5) rather than a motor caravan which was 30% more expensive. Just because I have decals saying "camper", "Beach" and side windows, bed and F45s awning clearly doesnt make it such.

I agree but I bet they've made the decision for a reason or based on experience, it's always the few that spoil it for the rest.

And I suppose with the demand for campsites being what it is at the moment they can afford to be picky.

Back