Refitting windows - sealant query.

Sharpe

Petrol power
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a set of OEM windows from a shuttle that I plan to fit to my panel van.
Having never done it before, how ‘clean’ a surface on the inside of the window do I need? The glass I have still has the remains of the rubber? Adhesive on it. Have started taking it off with a knife but don’t want to damage the painted edges of the glass. And it’s a tedious process! Do I need to fully remove it or can I apply new adhesive on top?
75742DF3-C9CD-4F03-A722-E427012C0C3E.jpeg2B2C2D20-8BAF-44C3-A0D8-D243F85FA123.jpeg
Thinking it may be easier to buy some brand new?

Having never done it before, how ‘clean’ a surface on the inside of the window do I need? The glass I have still has the remains of the rubber? Adhesive on it. Have started taking it off with a knife but don’t want to damage the painted edges of the glass. And it’s a tedious process! Do I need to fully remove it or can I apply new adhesive on top?
View attachment 79383View attachment 79384
I wonder if the uneven surface you’ll create from removing the sealant will actually be beneficial to the bonding process (rough surfaces and all that)?

You haven’t mentioned if they’re sliders - if they are, I was told by @VanDocConversions that the seal was part of what made them leakproof (an oxymoron I know) which was why refitting of second-hand OEM sliders was a tough job for the inexperienced.

@Sharpe this may help:

Cheers, I’m thinking this may be a job better left to the professionals. I’d say fitting a gloss rear badge is about the limit of my skill level

I wonder if the uneven surface you’ll create from removing the sealant will actually be beneficial to the bonding process (rough surfaces and all that)?

You haven’t mentioned if they’re sliders - if they are, I was told by @VanDocConversions that the seal was part of what made them leakproof (an oxymoron I know) which was why refitting of second-hand OEM sliders was a tough job for the inexperienced.
I'm in the same predicament as you, just bought two 2nd hand OEM VW dark green tint sliders and now need to clean off the old adhesive.
I've read white vinegar or water mixed with baking soda or possibly an oily product, any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Cellulose thinner dissolves most paints / plastics. It is safe on steel and glass, worth a try.
I use it quite a lot, the cheapest I’ve found is Bird Brand on Ebay.

Cellulose thinner dissolves most paints / plastics. It is safe on steel and glass, worth a try.
I use it quite a lot, the cheapest I’ve found is Bird Brand on Ebay.

However, you don't want to take off the black painted border around the glass.

View attachment 79383View attachment 79384
Just use a flat blade Scraper and this will cut the glue off flush with the glass, really simple. You can prime on top of old adhesive and then reglue in position. We are in Yeovil, pop them in and well cut adhesive off FOC, its strangely therapeutic…..All the best :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back