Reducing Solar Panel VOC

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've been looking at upgrading my 180watt solar ever since i upgraded from the Votronic 30/20/250 triple charger to the 60/40/430 triple charger.

While i'm waiting for the faulty 60/40/430 to be replaced, i though i'd explore upgrading the panels while im waiting.

The VOC limit on the new triple charger is 36 VOC, and of course its not easy to find larger 350-400 watt panels with a low VOC.

Has anyone tried to use a solar regulator, such as the Victron gear to reduce the VOC before feeding it into a already existing setup.

It would be easy to just stop using the Votronic solar setup, but together with the Jupiter panel, it looks after my SOC.

Im assuming that i could set the Victron solar unit to bring down the VOC to say 14.6-18 volts and feed it into my solar regulator for it sort out the lithium charging profile i'm running.

I've got my eyes on a Sunpower 400watt Maxeon gen 3 panel that has a VOC of 75.6.

Either swap out the existing mppt for one with a higher VOC.

Or get a second panel and connect them in parallel. The VOC will stay the same but the current will double.

Dell, the votronic triple charger already has the MPPT inbuilt into it, i can't bypass it, if i want the SOC on my system to read correctly with my lithium setup.

IMG_0423.jpeg

Thats the problem with combination units, you just don't have the flexibility.

As for the second panel, i already looked at that, my panel has been superseded and even if i could, i can't fit another one the same size as it'll over hang the roof on both sides, and that would look crap.

I'm trying to push for as much as i can get upon the roof, as the 180 watt i've got is ok, i need to double that and i'd like it not to be overhanging

I ended up emailing Victron about an hour ago, to see if i can get there 100/30 smartsolar MPPT to lock in to a bulk supply only mode in the settings as that would be ideal.

any developments on the solar panels Bryn?
I’m designing a system based on the same Votronic triple but having difficulty with finding the right solar panel. Would appreciate any updates you have.
thanks

any developments on the solar panels Bryn?
I’m designing a system based on the same Votronic triple but having difficulty with finding the right solar panel. Would appreciate any updates you have.
thanks

Yeah i haven't even gotten around to installing the new replacement charger yet, i put the smaller triple charger back in while waiting for the new replacement unit, and the van has just been sitting at the workshop, while I've been working on other projects.

I decided to just keep the existing solar panel and add a solar blanket via an Anderson plug when at camp, as i can put the blanket in the sun and keep the van cool under the trees.

It's odd that the triple charger has a low VOC, where as their stand alone solar charger has a decent VOC.

As for solar panels, you will have to see what is local and available in your country, as what's available here in Aus ins't always available in the UK.

Appreciate your answer.
Great idea with the solar blanket, unfortunately we dont have these problems with sun in the UK, any sign of sun beeing out and we all bathing in it.
It is frustrating that the VOC is so low on the Votronic 60/40/430 as the other aspects of it are very apealing.
I may have to put toghether a Victron system to charge 2x100Ah batteries

Back