Redarc BCDC1240D not working?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
T6 Legend
Yesterday I drove a round trip of 160 miles.

today I was connecting a solar panelto the Redarc. So before doing anythingI checked the leisure battery monitor.

it was at 63% and 12.4V.

I thought this was strange so I looked at yesterday’s data and this is it:

BEB2A6C4-DBC3-4855-A89A-EA1D1CFC1175.png
There is no charging whatsoever. You can see where I set off, just before 11 am the journey home starting at about 3:30.
The load on the leisure battery in my amplifier.

suggestions as to how to diagnose why the Redarc hasn’t charged my battery appreciated as I don’t know where to start.

Edit: @travelvolts @Dellmassive

Last edited:
are you using the led output of the redarc so you can keep an eye on it?

No, but the problem was there before I connected the panel.

I've now disconnected the panel and all the red LEDs on the front of the redarc are flashing ON/OFF 5 times then a gap, then ON/OFF 5 times.

You need to check the 3 main conections on the redarc.

Starter battery in.

Leisure battery out

Ground....

Check with a multimeter that you have correct readings.

Also use the Redarc led panel for readout.

No, but the problem was there before I connected the panel.

I've now disconnected the panel and all the red LEDs on the front of the redarc are flashing ON/OFF 5 times then a gap, then ON/OFF 5 times.
That means the input is too low to charge. Check the fuse and connection between the redarc and the starter battery.

What’s the voltage reading before and after the fuse?

Can you verify the voltage there? Maybe try disconnecting it?

Can you verify the voltage there? Maybe try disconnecting it?
At the crimp connector? Omg that’s under the carpet. If it’s just a connector between 2 fuses and each fuse is 12.19v won’t the wire between them be the same?

At the crimp connector? Omg that’s under the carpet. If it’s just a connector between 2 fuses and each fuse is 12.19v won’t the wire between them be the same?
If the is a fuse both sides then there is no need Just trying to confirm that 12.91v is getting to the redarc.

If the is a fuse both sides then there is no need Just trying to confirm that 12.91v is getting to the redarc.
Ok I just took the fuse out from the brown redarc lead for a few minutes (until I managed to take the chair base of and retrieve the nut that dropped into the hole in the carpet) put it back on the fuse. Only LED A on. Started engine. Seems to be charging the leisure battery.

the Fault code you’ve described, is this with the engine running when the redarc should be charging?

Back