Received split/leaking AGM battery. IS THIS DANGEROUS?

adibell

So this afternoon I received a Brand new 130Ah Leoch AGM battery. I opened the box, and it was inside a thick black plastic bag, filled with polystyrene. I got the battery out, and noticed there was a little bit of sticky residue in the polystyrene, but the thought didn’t cross my mind there was something wrong. I just thought nothing of it. The battery had lots of polystyrene ‘fibres’ on it, but I didn’t clean it down or anything - I had work to be getting on with, so wasn’t allowing myself to get distracted. I did notice that there were some whitish lines on the back face, but just assumed these were polystyrene marks at a quick glance. I stood the battery on the ground next to the box, tested across the terminals and got a 13.0V reading, and then continued to work.

I just finished, and thought I’d go put stuff in the van and start testing it for size. I carried the battery, and when I got to the van, realised my calf was starting to sting (I’m wearing shorts). I turned the battery round and my hand got soaking wet, and I noticed that the ‘lines’ had globular stuff coming out. I’ve attached a picture. It seems there’s several splits on the main back surface.

I took the battery back inside and noticed that there’s a puddle of liquid on our living room floor. Quickly threw a rag down and tried to clean up. At this point I thought perhaps I’d best put the battery on its front so that it doesn’t continue to leak onto the floor, and then it started to make a high pitched noise. I thought it might be just bubbles but it changed pitch and got higher, and I started to worry the thing might be about to go bang and make a mess of the living room, or potentially much worse. It’s now lying face down on the lawn, with a guinea pig run to stop the dog getting near it. It’s starting to rain very slightly, and obviously it can’t stay outside, but I don’t want to risk it exploding/catching fire and burning down the garage/my van!!

Sure enough, the company that sold it is closed for the weekend, and don’t open again until Monday.

How dangerous is this battery? Where should I keep it? I will google stuff now but I started typing this post as there’s a hell of a lot of people with experiences with AGMs on here!

Here’s pictures. I had brought the box into the living room and plonked it down facing forwards as shown in the third pic. I’ve come back inside now and checked the back of the box, and sure enough it’s clearly mud-stained as though it’s been dropped (4th pic). There is no mud between where the van parked and my front door, so it’s been like this in transit. There’s an inch thick bit of foam in the bottom of the black bag, and this is soaked.

Pretty annoyed and a bit worried!

DAAAD120-015C-482A-8A62-22C53BB6C2DF.jpeg

AE8C8A42-BE4D-4874-AF9A-3730B981B7FC.jpeg

266B0416-CF3A-4258-B28F-5519AEA88A13.jpeg

020B7679-9C1D-4742-8240-8116B0927866.jpeg

It's leaking Acid...

Put it outside and wash anything it's touched with lots of warm soapy water.

That acid is corrosive and will burn through or tarnish most materials... Including skin.

Contact your seller as it been damaged in transit.

Leave it outside with the cardboard box and packaging sitting on a half open black plastic bag to catch any more acid.

The battery powrer will reduce as the acid leaks out.

Shouldn't be a fire risk, more a burn risk from the acid.

Bicarbonate of soda to neutralize the acid - use a strong solution in warm water and keep applying to any spilt on areas until it no longer fizzes on contact. Soapy water on its own will only dilute the acid and not neutralize it.

Back