Rear Underslung leisure battery

@Stampie66 That looks awesome! Any more info' would be much appreciated.

The water tank(s) looks good too, but I was wondering if I should put a Propex gas tank in that spot at the rear of the van and try to fit a freshwater tank (but no waste) somewhere else?

I'm hoping that the factory eberspacher and auxiliary heater don't get in the way.

In respect of the chassis area between the right chassis rail and the right sill the T5 & T6 are the same. I have fitted under-slung batteries to two T5s in that area, my current T6 has the second battery fitted in the base of the units inside just for simplicity.

Rod

Fanc
In respect of the chassis area between the right chassis rail and the right sill the T5 & T6 are the same. I have fitted under-slung batteries to two T5s in that area, my current T6 has the second battery fitted in the base of the units inside just for simplicity.

Rod

Fancy doing mine Rod?

I'm not on for fitting one but you are welcome to come and have a look at the one on my T5 at least until I manage to sell the vehicle.

As for a fuse, YES always on each leisure battery as close to the battery as possible but always accessible. Remember if you have multiple leisure batteries the +ve terminals are connected in parallel so always live unless you remove the fuses from all battery +ve leads.

I use Anderson connectors on both +ve & -ve near the under-slung battery carrier so that the carrier can be lowered out from under the vehicle and connected / disconnected easily as a unit.

Fitting under the chassis is good for space saving inside but battery changing / maintenance is not simple, I have a trolley jack which makes raising and lowering the battery on its support plate into place easier. Obviously access to a ramp would make it even easier.

Rod

He’s not far from you @Fish, got to be worth taking him up on that nice offer to go and have a look. You could then have twin 110Ah batteries underneath, effectively doubling what you have now.

Hi @Fish and others it'll have to be after the beginning of August as my current location is https://goo.gl/maps/QTqRDnxKNM92 and not making too fast a trip home! Retired and camper owning is a great thing.

Otherwise you are most welcome, you'll find my phone number on www.1946vw.co.uk/sales , give me a bell sometime first week of August if that is any use to you.

Cheers,

Rod
Wow, awesome location @rod_vw . Hopefully Fish will be able to see you in August, cos then I can pick his brains to see if I can equally get my spare 110ah battery up under the van. Did you make the aluminium battery box yourself?

It's not in a box, it simply sits on a modified engine bay battery tray, if you have the correct height battery you can suspend the whole assembly so that the base of the tray is at the same height as the plastic under tray that fits along the side of the chassis. My battery is the same height as those that fit under the Sports craft seat swivels thus making a pair, one under the driver's seat and one under the chassis.

Re the current location - Tour de France country, they are through here later in the week, we came along the D927 from NE to SW on Friday and that's on the Tour route as well Google Maps

Last night was fireworks as it was Bastille day they were across town but just about visible to us .

Rod

To drag up an old thread.. I was sodding about under the van earlier and removed the splash-guards from the near side - it got me thinking whether I could mount my 110Ah battery in the cill where the pre-heater would normally sit (there’s some brackets and polystyrene installed but no heater :unsure:)

36798063-3193-4303-B631-1F9C248A9C5A.jpeg

F50D0418-1DAA-4488-81CE-00E37D8E9E6B.jpeg

Has anyone else got any thought on this?
The Propex is under the drivers seat and I’m considering installing a water tank in the offside cill area.

That's where I mount my Eberspacher Airtronic, it makes it easier to get the outlet under the left front seat. It's a bit of a fiddle with a bespoke bracket but it works well.

Rod

That's where I mount my Eberspacher Airtronic, it makes it easier to get the outlet under the left front seat. It's a bit of a fiddle with a bespoke bracket but it works well.

Rod
I can see why you mount your heater there - it must make linking it up to the diesel tank easier, as well as it having the heater outlet come out underneath the ‘correct’ seat.

@rod_vw did you ever give a battery a go in that space, and know whether one would fit?

@Ads_Essex No I fitted the second leisure battery inside in the furniture on the latest conversion. That's one under the driver's seat and one just in front of the rear wheel arch inside (my conversions are always on LWB vehicles).

Rod

@Ads_Essex No I fitted the second leisure battery inside in the furniture on the latest conversion. That's one under the driver's seat and one just in front of the rear wheel arch inside (my conversions are always on LWB vehicles).

Rod
Cheers Rod. I’ll see if I can fit the battery under the passenger seat and report back.

Hi all, thanks for a great thread .. Im hoping to fit 400Ah gel batteries underfloor, so will use the info from this thread (ie where Rod said he put them, primarily), start taking some covers off (once it stops raining) and let you know how it goes.

By the way, I've thought of a way to see if it fits - I've made a cardboard box the same size as my battery, so when Im under there I can mess with it and see what'll work.

Back