Rear Underslung leisure battery

Fish

Joiner
VIP Member
T6 Legend
While I save alittle more for the install, I am looking to source advise on pros/cons and links to house the 110ah battery under vehicle.
I do not have room under the front seats and due to changable internal use, no room to the rear.

Thanks.

@travelvolts

Last edited:
I've fitted a battery between the chassis and the sill just behind the right 'B' post. I use the same mounting plate that carries the engine battery and make up a bracket and suspension rods to hold it in place. I use a plug & socket arrangement like that used for charging fork trucks (but a smaller version) for the cables to make connection easy. If you are careful you can get the mounting plate to fit at the same height as the plastic cover below the vehicle so by just cutting out the required part from the cover it all fits snugly.

It's a bit of a pain to take in and out and has to be done with a trolley jack.

I've done this on two campers before and the camper that I am converting now will have the same arrangement.

Rod.

Hello @rod_vw, would it be possible for you to post photos of the installation as a picture can make clearer that which might otherwise be difficult in words? Sounds like it is a well proven mod that many others might consider.

OK, I'll try to document it as I do the current conversion, mind that will be in a few weeks.

This mod has its down side in so much as access is difficult for the everyday owner because it needs a trolley jack to lift the battery into place and get it down again.

Rod

Hi Rod. Also considering fitting under slung battery . Not shore if it's really necessary as I've got the second factory fitted battery under the passenger seat. Not shore if all I need to do is the piggy back them together or lost of extras required.
Also would like to fit the centre water tank under the van as the same one you pictured and also fit a night heater . All getting a bit tight not sure if it all can be fitted any thoughts .

@Stampie66 the fitting of the centre water tank (30l capacity) is simple, it's just suspended on two wide metal straps which bolt up to existing threaded holes in the chassis. You have to make the straps your self but it's just flat metal bent and drilled to fit the tanks and bolt holes. Do remember that at present they do not fit a Euro 6 vehicle due to the position of a sensor in the exhaust.
Have a word with the chaps at Autocraft Motor Caravans for supply of the tank(s) and maybe knowledge of when there may be a mod to fit Euro 6. They do one for the rear (60l capacity) as well, I use the rear for fresh and the centre for waste, the rear one is more difficult to fit.

Rod

Thanks Rod great info ,any preference on pumps to pump small rinsing shower at the rear of the van.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stampie66 sorry I can't help there, I've not been down the line of higher pressure / delivery pumps as all that I use is a simple in-line version for water to the sink. Just a thought though, the centre tank is only 30 litres. If you intend to use more than basic camping domestic quantities you may want to think about fitting the 60 liter tank at the rear.

:confused: Sorry to those following the battery thread, we've digressed a bit. I'll get it back on track when I fit the battery. ;)

Rod

Hi @Stampie66, may I suggest a visit to motor caravan and caravan dealerships to see what they use? Your problem is similar to that of a towed caravanner who utilises an external water 'barrel' to raise water from ground level to showerhead.

Thanks two you both good advice definitely a job to do think as I'm under the van will plumb in both tanks .

Back to the under slung battery should I still put a extra battery under and piggyback off the existing second factory fitted battery? Have got 110ah doing nothing .

My limited knowledge..
If it was me, i would house/accom for it in the underneath build, so that I have it sorted should I need it..but no point in the little extra weight, if it is not needed yet?.

But again not my expertise..other may advise different..

@Stampie66 sorry I can't help there, I've not been down the line of higher pressure / delivery pumps as all that I use is a simple in-line version for water to the sink. Just a thought though, the centre tank is only 30 litres. If you intend to use more than basic camping domestic quantities you may want to think about fitting the 60 liter tank at the rear.

:confused: Sorry to those following the battery thread, we've digressed a bit. I'll get it back on track when I fit the battery. ;)

Rod
@rod_vw don't mean to be cheeky have you fitted the battery :whistle:

Sorry Marc, this conversion has gone along a bit different lines, the plan is eventually fit a small refillable gas tank in the right rear corner so the space where I used to fit my gas cylinders became vacant and was taken up with the second leisure battery. I do however still have my T5 (August 2016) which has an under-slung battery which you can look at if you wish.

Rod

Sorry Marc, this conversion has gone along a bit different lines, the plan is eventually fit a small refillable gas tank in the right rear corner so the space where I used to fit my gas cylinders became vacant and was taken up with the second leisure battery. I do however still have my T5 (August 2016) which has an under-slung battery which you can look at if you wish.

Rod
Thank you for replying @rod_vw i would be interested yeah if that's not too much of an inconvenience :thumbsup:

Just re-igniting an old thread....but has anyone successfully fitted either 1 or ideally 2 x underslung batteries to a T6?

Back