Rear Tyre Excessive Wear

DM8

I fitted B14 coilers and a set of 20" 255/35 tyres in the spring, with laser alignment done at the time. Changed to winter wheels last week and surprised to find my rear tyres at 1.6mm and 2mm, both with even tyre wear across the tyre. I was running them at approx 42 psi and covered 7000miles. Van is empty during the week and generally carrying bikes, kids, dogs etc at weekends. Front tyres are about 75% worn. They are budget tyres which came with the wheels.
Anyone had similar issues, or offer reason for wear?

Adjustment on the rear is limited as it’s essentially a dragged axle, you may well find that the wheels are toe in a little bit causing the tyres to scrub ?
Did you get a print out of the 4 wheel alignment, may be worth getting another one done ?

B14’s work the tyres a lot harder, we see in a lot of cases the rears wearing out quickly. However drop the pressures a bit, we recommend 36-40. On our 4 motion at 36 psi, our rears are half worn at 11000 miles, and its driven pretty hard.

I fitted B14 coilers and a set of 20" 255/35 tyres in the spring, with laser alignment done at the time. Changed to winter wheels last week and surprised to find my rear tyres at 1.6mm and 2mm, both with even tyre wear across the tyre. I was running them at approx 42 psi and covered 7000miles. Van is empty during the week and generally carrying bikes, kids, dogs etc at weekends. Front tyres are about 75% worn. They are budget tyres which came with the wheels.
Anyone had similar issues, or offer reason for wear?

I had exactly the same issue and destroyed several pairs of rear tyres in around 4000 miles. It needs Hunter alignment with a very specific setting. Drop me a PM with your number and I will send you the settings.
A simple lazer alignment isn't enough, and there is a surprising amount of adjustment in the rears, as myself and @T6180 watched when the engineer did mine.

Trust me, this will fix it.

You say even wear so no issues with the alignment. What jumped at me was the budget tyre part, there are different wear indexes depending on the rubber compound used.

On the sidewall will be a wear index number normally something like 100 150 what's yours?

I had exactly the same issue and destroyed several pairs of rear tyres in around 4000 miles. It needs Hunter alignment with a very specific setting. Drop me a PM with your number and I will send you the settings.
A simple lazer alignment isn't enough, and there is a surprising amount of adjustment in the rears, as myself and @T6180 watched when the engineer did mine.

Trust me, this will fix it.
Hi mate. Having rear alignment problems as well could you tell me the setting please. Would be much appreciated

Hi mate. Having rear alignment problems as well could you tell me the setting please. Would be much appreciated

The settings we have are for lowered T6's that are either pulling left or right, or they have uneven tyre wear. If yours is lowered with one of these problems, drop me a PM with your mobile number and I will shoot the settings over by WhatsApp.

Hi oli,what would you recommend for a t32 lwb shuttle on solows at around 10mm from full height running 18" banded steels..255/45/18?

I too have B14’s running on 255/45/18 tyres and struggling to get more than 8k miles out of them although the front tyres do wear slightly slower. It’s a converted T28 campervan so pretty much fully loaded all the time and I’m running it too low as I still need to cope with campsites. I’ve played around with tyre pressures but not seen much of a change in wear.

Does anyone have any pressure recommendations? I’m considering going back to the 17” VW wheels to see if that makes any difference.

thanks

I too have B14’s running on 255/45/18 tyres and struggling to get more than 8k miles out of them although the front tyres do wear slightly slower. It’s a converted T28 campervan so pretty much fully loaded all the time and I’m running it too low as I still need to cope with campsites. I’ve played around with tyre pressures but not seen much of a change in wear.

Does anyone have any pressure recommendations? I’m considering going back to the 17” VW wheels to see if that makes any difference.

thanks
You'll need 4 wheel alignment on a hunters machine

If you message @Tourershine he can send you the settings to try. These setting have worked for both of us

my rears have worn pretty badly on the outsides. Is this a tyre pressure issue or the wheels need adjusting. Factory lowered. Thanks.

Whats the inner edges like?

Is it the same both sides?

What about the fronts?

What size qheel/tyre?

What factory lowered kit?

Same both sides, fronts fine. 30mm vw approved lower from new. 255/45/ZR18 38psi. Just rear outside edges that are showing wear.

38psi seems low?

i have the factory OEM setup, same as you.

30mm drop,

18"

but i run @ 50psi all round - but im full laden

on third set of rubbers now, fronts wear two sets to one back.

maybe try 50psi on the rear ? (you might need to start off with new tyres first tough !

this is a card VW give out.

1596798895607.png

also have a quick look here :

Back