Rear Springs Question

SteveE

VIP Member
Hi all,

I’ve been worried about my saggy arse for a while (I’m at that age!!) so after reading on here I decided the solution was to put some T32 springs on there thinking the original springs must still be in place. Anyway I decided to look under the van to check and the springs are actually H&R springs… Not being a mechanical whizz is it still best to replace the springs with T32’s or is there an alternative solution to lift the arse?? The rear currently sits 45mm lower than the front.

6A4B8232-0AB0-4B60-8B64-524033BE51AD.jpeg

Have a search in the Forum. T32 springs is the cheap and easy solution.

Thanks guys! Given the back is 45mm lower than the front and the back has 40mm lowering springs on would that mean the back is lowered and the front isn’t?. But then if adding OEM T32 springs is the answer happy days.

Thanks guys! Given the back is 45mm lower than the front and the back has 40mm lowering springs on would that mean the back is lowered and the front isn’t?. But then if adding OEM T32 springs is the answer happy days.
It sounds like it's possible that the front is on standard ride height springs, but the best way to check is to have a look. If the spring is black, it's OEM.

When you say the back is 45mm lower than the front, how are you measuring that? Is it from wheel arch to wheel centre?

Just had a look and the front is on H&R springs as well.
45mm is measured from middle of the wheel to the arch.

The rear spring is clearly way more compressed than it should be and it's the lightest weight (softest) rear spring from H&R. 45mm is a vast difference front to back so perhaps you've got the heaviest weight (stiffest) front spring which might account for some of the difference. A photo of the numbers on the front spring would help if you can see them. I'm assuming that you're carrying quite a load in the rear. I would normally suggest fitting the heavier weight rear H&R spring, but that won't make 45mm of difference.

It might just be that the best solution is to fit a standard ride height spring to the back of the van, but can you give me the actual measurements from the wheel arch to the wheel centre, just so that I can get a feel for how much lower than standard the van is front and back?

Thanks for your response.

From what I can make out the number on the front looks the same as the rear and the front looks far less compressed (which I find weird given the engine is in the front). The rear has a standard campervan fit out and a couple of camp chairs and a camping table, hob and 3.5kg gas cannister and bits and bobs.

the rear dimension is 375 and the front is 420.

View attachment 120982

3C77C146-5A45-4532-85C6-706AAFE20A0B.jpeg

This measurement cant be correct a standard van is 460 mm and if a 40 mm spring fitted correctly should be 420 mm ??

From what I can make out the number on the front looks the same as the rear and the front looks far less compressed (which I find weird given the engine is in the front). The rear has a standard campervan fit out and a couple of camp chairs and a camping table, hob and 3.5kg gas cannister and bits and bobs.

View attachment 120982

View attachment 120985
Hi there the solution is to change the rear spring to a - 2 H&R spring ( 375 is way too low ) and fit a spring distance spacer to bring it up to 420 the same as the front . This will improve everything ( well except handling , you need to change shocks to do that )

If you need the parts let us know . if you need fitting see who is nearer Van Cave or us we work together and can sort this for you

View attachment 120982

View attachment 120985
That front measurement of about 420mm is about what I would expect, so it's the correct front spring. The rear is about 85-90mm lower than standard though, so that's clearly not right. As CRS has suggested, I would change the rear for the heavier weight H&R lowering spring and if necessary, add a spacer to bring the ride height back to where it should be, circa 420mm all round.

Thanks guys for all your help with this..

The 375 dimension is definitely correct I’ve just double checked it…. Could there be another problem?

One thing to add is that I do intend to toe a small caravan (Eldis Xplore 304)… does that change the advice?

@CRS Performance would you able to advise on costs to supply the required parts.

Many thanks.

Thanks guys for all your help with this..

The 375 dimension is definitely correct I’ve just double checked it…. Could there be another problem?

One thing to add is that I do intend to toe a small caravan (Eldis Xplore 304)… does that change the advice?

@CRS Performance would you able to advise on costs to supply the required parts.

Many thanks.
Apologies for late response i was away for a week ( holiday )

We can supply 2 rear springs and the spacers needed to get the van more level , Do you want me to quote on shocks as well or do you want to persist with the standard shocks

steve

Cheers Steve,

I’ll just focus on getting it level for now so if you quote for the springs and spacers it would be appreciated.

thanks,
Steve

Steve
That we can live with , Steering will be normal the van will look better and you have capacity for some load .
Result !
thanks for letting us know .

Steve
That we can live with , Steering will be normal the van will look better and you have capacity for some load .
Result !
thanks for letting us know .
Hi CRS I have a similar issue I think I haven't measured but see photos? Can you quote for me and/or tell me what else you may need. Photo of rear H&R spring currently fitted and side photo in flat showing difference in front and rear height

IMG_9469.jpeg

IMG_9467.jpeg

Need to change the rear spring to a longer one . or as its a camper we do special height adjustable rears that can get it perfect , what shocks are you using ??

steve

Need to change the rear spring to a longer one . or as its a camper we do special height adjustable rears that can get it perfect , what shocks are you using ??

steve
I can't say for sure as was like it when I bought it but I would imagine they are the originals rather than uprated to the springs

Back