Rear Springs broken again.

rhinoman

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I fitted the H&R coilover kit and antiroll bars from new to my T30 T6. At 40k miles I replaced the rear springs that were broken. Now at 80k miles they have gone again. I do carry a fair bit of weight most of the time so I'm not particularly complaining, and I'm happy enough with the ride in general.

Before I order the H&R replacement from Autodoc is there anything else I could use that may be better? Maybe @CRS Performance

, we fit. Lots of these kits and have only ever seen one rear spring break , they did revise the rear spring about 3 years ago However , Can you send me a pic so I can see if you have the old type or the new one , We have never had the new one break only the older version. Auto doc supply these ?.. odd

, we fit. Lots of these kits and have only ever seen one rear spring break , they did revise the rear spring about 3 years ago However , Can you send me a pic so I can see if you have the old type or the new one , We have never had the new one break only the older version. Auto doc supply these ?.. odd
Rubbish picture attached, only took it for the part number... They've been binned now unfortunately.

My guess is a bit over 3 years ago the last change. The van is now 6 years old at 80k miles but I think the mileage was weighted slightly to the first 3 years rather than the last 3.
The pigtails at the top of the springs had both failed this time, my buddy has a garage so I got him to order some replacements and then we hurried to replace them after the second snap a few days ago on the N/S rear shown below. The ones he got from Eurocarparts were supplied incorrectly so we have temporarily put the standard rears back in.

The van runs towards the bottom of the adjustable setting and is loaded nearly all the time which does push it down a bit further. The ride was acceptable to me, just wondering if there might be something stronger than the straight replacement you could recommend/supply?

IMG_0511.jpg

Ye that is the old spring. We haven’t had a new model break yet that will be the recommended route , it can cope better with weight

A very similar type of break to the 29267 @CRS Performance I’m not too impressed especially with the low mileage involved. Are these prone to fail too?

IMG_2257.jpeg

HR springs break, I’ve had 3 sets break in various vehicles.

Still keep buying them though, as they are good when they are 1piece :think smile bounce:

IMG_0543.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

I think it’s the state of the roads rather than H&R or any other particular make having a weakness. I’ve had broken OEM springs on BMWs, VWs and Volvos in recent years with just normal driving.

Worth checking the warranty on the springs... I had a broken rear spring picked up on MOT last summer, and I had something about "lifetime warranty" with the Cobra springs (fitted by Leighton Vans) at the back of my mind. I called up Leightons and I was right - they just wanted a photo to send over to Cobra. Sent the photo, and they booked me in for *both* rear springs to be replaced FOC! Then just had them checked and given an MOT pass! Very easy... and very surprised to be honest!!

That looks like an Audi strut A4 S4 or RS4 ?? or 5 as they are the same
Yeah, B7 A4, that car ate 2 full sets of HR springs, fronts and rears in 50k miles. Also had them break on A3/Scirocco/Q5 too, but they are really good when they work and treated like a consumable, they are cheap enough to replace. Especially when you can fit yourself.

Yeah, B7 A4, that car ate 2 full sets of HR springs, fronts and rears in 50k miles. Also had them break on A3/Scirocco/Q5 too, but they are really good when they work and treated like a consumable, they are cheap enough to replace. Especially when you can fit yourself.
If you have had Bilstien B6 and B8 on those cars as well it might also be a factor as those shocks are notoriously stiffer because of the technology that Bilstein use , maybe in future give us a chance on some KONI shocks they are far kinder to the suspension and ride

cheers Steve

Back