Adding Rear Speakers to Kombi

Profesis

I have a T6 Kombi as a work van and I’m struggling with making calls (prob because I’m a bit deaf!). I suspect it is because I have the boggo head unit and only front speakers.

Any ideas about how to improve it? Was thinking about speakers in the back but which ones and where? Right at the back seems a bit far away! Has anyone mounted any in the area by the second row of seats? Any thoughts?
Ideally wouldn’t like to spend a fortune as it’s only my work van and have to give away any changes I make to it when I return it in a few years.

I've made up single speaker boxes . . . With 6x9 speakers in for my old work van as it was a lease hire.(you can put them wherever you want)

I just wired them in on a temp loom... to they could be removed quickly when needed...

Just an I idea for you..

Funnily enough I'm sitting infront of them now...

These must be over 15years old now . . . . !!!!

20190827_082804.jpg 20190827_082822.jpg 20190827_082815.jpg

I have a T6 Kombi as a work van and I’m struggling with making calls (prob because I’m a bit deaf!). I suspect it is because I have the boggo head unit and only front speakers.

Any ideas about how to improve it? Was thinking about speakers in the back but which ones and where? Right at the back seems a bit far away! Has anyone mounted any in the area by the second row of seats? Any thoughts?
Ideally wouldn’t like to spend a fortune as it’s only my work van and have to give away any changes I make to it when I return it in a few years.

They can be mounted in the ceiling

C2460C76-F385-4ED8-AAFD-441C00822291.jpeg

Think ceiling mount could be the winner! Now what speakers? What build height can i get away with?

We tend to use Kenwoods 2 way coax 6.5”

We can supply them with cable, terminals and pins for the quad lock plug or with a plug and play harness

We tend to use Kenwoods 2 way coax 6.5”

We can supply them with cable, terminals and pins for the quad lock plug or with a plug and play harness

Absolut5 supplied the plug and play kit for our van. Recommended, makes such a difference even with standard front speakers. Go for it.

I fitted mine in that location and fixed to the OE hardboard roof panel, the weight of the speakers will try and bend the panel a bit if removing/refitting the panel but as they are nearish to the edge the factory fixings and joining strip hold the panel securely enough in place

Last edited:
Can you mount these to the original roof panels or do you need ply lining and then self tapers or do you use m4 bolts and nuts?

Mounted in the positions in the picture is quite a solid service,

Using the supplied clips and screws, they won’t move or sag as speakers are quite light

Still can’t get my head round this - everything I ever knew about speakers tells me having them stuck in the funny little pod means there is no air volume behind them and so there wouldn’t be much in the way of mid-bass/bass but happy to be educated :whistle:

Hence buying 6x9s and building a box behind the Kombi bench seat.

6FD30650-9489-4833-9B97-D5494FCE2AE9.jpeg

Still can’t get my head round this - everything I ever knew about speakers tells me having them stuck in the funny little pod means there is no air volume behind them and so there wouldn’t be much in the way of mid-bass/bass but happy to be educated :whistle:

View attachment 172724
I am no expert so I will leave the likes of @Dav-Tec and @Absolut5 to educate us all.

View attachment 172724
There is a compromise between aesthetics and sound quality to a degree with these pods and there is air volume behind the speakers. Due to the nature of frequencies the speaker handles you don't need anything the size of a sub enclosure.

Also I wouldn't put speakers in a box on the floor. The only thing that will benefit is your feet. The sound waves can't travel cleanly to your ears due to how low they are and also there's so many different surface down there such as your legs and fixing points for the other seats.

When we do custom door builds the woofer in the doors get angled upwards to project the sound into the cabin like what we did with the demo/sponsor van we did seen here it's not a criticism of your install or thoughts by the way just an observation.

There is a compromise between aesthetics and sound quality to a degree with these pods and there is air volume behind the speakers. Due to the nature of frequencies the speaker handles you don't need anything the size of a sub enclosure.

Also I wouldn't put speakers in a box on the floor. The only thing that will benefit is your feet. The sound waves can't travel cleanly to your ears due to how low they are and also there's so many different surface down there such as your legs and fixing points for the other seats.

When we do custom door builds the woofer in the doors get angled upwards to project the sound into the cabin like what we did with the demo/sponsor van we did seen here it's not a criticism of your install or thoughts by the way just an observation.
Thanks for the info - wasn’t taken as criticism. I am happy to be educated :thumbsup:

Back