Tsixty

T6 Guru
Help! Going round in circles. Installing Skipton rear speakers, these come with a plug and play harness so you don't have to put the rear speaker pins in the quad lock connector. Have enabled the rear fader using OBDEleven according to some instructions found on the forum.

Fader is working, but I cannot get any output to the left rear speaker. Swapped the speakers over and fault remains on left side so that eliminates the speaker itself.

I'm getting a fault code saying left rear speaker is open circuit, it returns immediately I clear it.

I'm not sure what I should see on speaker wires with a DMM but can see that what's on the working right channel looks completely different to what's on the non working left channel. I've checked and double checked all the wires and connectors.

Even on the back of the head unit quadlock connector I can see that the output doesn't look correct on that channel with a DMM. It is as if the unit is constantly shutting that channel down because it sees open circuit but I can't troubleshoot that while the output is shut down.

Any ideas how to further troubleshoot? I'm out of ideas.

Remove the tape of the plug and play loom, I’m sure you will see the issue straight away ,

if nothing is clear,,post up a picture of it

Remove the tape of the plug and play loom, I’m sure you will see the issue straight away ,

if nothing is clear,,post up a picture of it
@Absolut5 thanks for the pointer, going away tomorrow so will get the head unit back out when I come back and see what's under that tape.

To close this off it was my own stupid fault for not being careful enough when putting the wires in. Took the head unit out (again) and took the tape off the loom as suggested. All looked exactly as I expected it to, with all the correct wires going to the correct pins. I decided I needed to establish if it was the plug and play harness/head unit or the wiring back to the speaker at fault, so took the difficult decision to cut both rear speaker wires at the back of the head unit and swap them over. Sure enough, still no sound from the same speaker, which meant it had to be a wire fault between the speaker and the new loom. Started the process of checking the cable up the passenger side A pillar then back along the roof lining. About half way down the back I found the problem, one of the plastic studs that holds the roof lining in place had caught the wire and it was clear that the +ve and -ve for the left speaker were actually making contact with each other. Once I found it, cut it, joined it, put some heat shrink over the join and all working as expected within 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Hi.. @Tsixty .. Hats off :thumbsup:…… it’s great when you finish a thread off ( many post questions but never conclude the thread ) I’m glad it’s sorted and potential others can learn…Happy days:)

Before I loose the will to live, does anyone have any idea what might be causing a problem with my rear speakers.
I upgraded the headunit in my T5.1 to an RCD 360 along with a quad lock harness that feeds rear speakers, front tweeters and has a pre-out for an amp. Both the headunit and harness are from Travelinlite. The problem I'm having is the rear speakers (Pioneers - brand new) are really quiet. If you fade to the rear you can just about hear them and they sound really flat, there's no bass or treble from them. The front speakers (Alpines) are great and the headunit is fully working.
Travelinlite thought it may be a faulty headunit and sent out another one but the problem is just the same, any one any ideas!!
Thanks for taking the time to read.

Have you checked connections and polarity? Get the resistance of the speakers to make sure they're not faulty

Before I loose the will to live, does anyone have any idea what might be causing a problem with my rear speakers.
I upgraded the headunit in my T5.1 to an RCD 360 along with a quad lock harness that feeds rear speakers, front tweeters and has a pre-out for an amp. Both the headunit and harness are from Travelinlite. The problem I'm having is the rear speakers (Pioneers - brand new) are really quiet. If you fade to the rear you can just about hear them and they sound really flat, there's no bass or treble from them. The front speakers (Alpines) are great and the headunit is fully working.
Travelinlite thought it may be a faulty headunit and sent out another one but the problem is just the same, any one any ideas!!
Thanks for taking the time to read.
I’ve seen a few wire the rear speaker incorrectly with these plug and play harnesses … pull a speaker out and take a pic of the wiring

purple- rear right +
purple/black rear right -

green - rear left +
green/back - rear left -

I’ve seen owners wire up rears with a purple and a green wire to each speaker

Back