Creaking - Rear lower spring isolation rubbers

Samwilk200

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've recently had some noises (squeaking/creaking type) coming from rear of van when turning or going over speed humps etc.

Had a look underneath and both rear spring lower rubbers appear to have worn out and the spring tail is rubbing on the raised lump of the wishbone

Van is about 12k miles old, and is lowered approx 50mm on STX coilovers.

Has anyone had similar issues? As far as I know the rubbers can only be fitted one way. Any ideas?

I've recently had some noises (squeaking/creaking type) coming from rear of van when turning or going over speed humps etc.

Had a look underneath and both rear spring lower rubbers appear to have worn out and the spring tail is rubbing on the raised lump of the wishbone

Van is about 12k miles old, and is lowered approx 50mm on STX coilovers.

Has anyone had similar issues? As far as I know the rubbers can only be fitted one way. Any ideas?
As far as I know… the rubber mounts are cheap (£15 each maybe) and easy to fit.

I get the feeling they perish quickly, though 12k is far too soon.

Yes just ordered a new pair so hopefully these last longer.

My previous lowered T6 did over 60k miles with zero issues so unsure why these have both failed.

Interestingly my van has a very noticeable creaking from the rear exactly as described in the op.

I am on kw v1 coil overs which I believe to be the same as the stx but stainless and rated for t32.

I am currently a bit immobile and can't scramble around on the ground, and even if a could I'm not sure what I'd be looking for! I have rocked the van whilst stationary and it is quiet.
Swerving side to side at slow speed doesn't seem to cause the fault either, but as soon as I drive up a dropped curb at 30 degrees or so it sounds horrid!
If my coil overs were to blame wouldn't it make the creak when rocking van whilst when stationery?
My van is lowered about about 60-70mm and I am less than 10k miles in with these and they were fitted back in October 2021. Do these mounts become under more strain the more the vehicle is lowered?

I am thinking I should go back to the installer and ask them to check things out and raise the height 20 mm or so if ride height is part of the issue?

Interestingly my van has a very noticeable creaking from the rear exactly as described in the op.

I am on kw v1 coil overs which I believe to be the same as the stx but stainless and rated for t32.

I am currently a bit immobile and can't scramble around on the ground, and even if a could I'm not sure what I'd be looking for! I have rocked the van whilst stationary and it is quiet.
Swerving side to side at slow speed doesn't seem to cause the fault either, but as soon as I drive up a dropped curb at 30 degrees or so it sounds horrid!
If my coil overs were to blame wouldn't it make the creak when rocking van whilst when stationery?
My van is lowered about about 60-70mm and I am less than 10k miles in with these and they were fitted back in October 2021. Do these mounts become under more strain the more the vehicle is lowered?

I am thinking I should go back to the installer and ask them to check things out and raise the height 20 mm or so if ride height is part of the issue?
The noise you are experiencing is the rear spring rubbers (bottom one ) , big issue for the van sadly. We have assisted in developing a stronger alternative. Which I will have in stock in the next few days . I can post a set to you if you know some one who can pop them in. Give us a call

The noise you are experiencing is the rear spring rubbers (bottom one ) , big issue for the van sadly. We have assisted in developing a stronger alternative. Which I will have in stock in the next few days . I can post a set to you if you know some one who can pop them in. Give us a call
It seems that my main creaking was coming from my tailgate! I shut the tailgate up, but can still hear a feint creak from what sounds like the rear near side when driving over speed bumps at around 30 degrees or more!
The tailgate is now silent, so assume that I may have the problem with the spring rubbers too.

Is this a problem with KWv1 and also STX?

Is this a problem with KWv1 and also STX?
No it’s a problem with every kit and including a standard van the rubbers take huge strain and they don’t last. I would say the noise seems a little worse with after market. Springs. , But it isn’t specific to any brand. As the rear springs are all quite similar on the bottom coil

Hi! This sounds like I have the same issue - can I order a pair of these pls?!

Hi! This sounds like I have the same issue - can I order a pair of these pls?!
Sadly Powerflex decided in there infinite wisdom to ignore my design and make it their own way after taking delivery of 200 realised they are wrong , returned for full credit , they appear on the Powerflex web site still , But i would be cautious buying for them .

Its now going to be another 6 months development time for the ones i initially wanted them to make .

My van which is also on KWv1 has developed this creaking noise from the rear. Any updates on the above solution?
If you need upgraded rear spring rubber seats, Transporter HQ do some excellent ones. They have become my go to product at the cave. Considering they aren’t really much more expensive than OEM ones, they are a far superior product.

They are out of stock at THQ, but I have a few pairs in stock and could sell them to you at the same price.

If you need upgraded rear spring rubber seats, Transporter HQ do some excellent ones. They have become my go to product at the cave. Considering they aren’t really much more expensive than OEM ones, they are a far superior product.

They are out of stock at THQ, but I have a few pairs in stock and could sell them to you at the same price.
Yes please Chris!! should I give you a cal tomorrow?

fitted a set of these the other week, same creaking on near side resolved, hopefully this set will last longer than the 32k the oem ones lasted

As above, these are now back in stock. We totally redesign the original lower spring rubber so they sit better with all springs whether standard, lifted or lowered.

Others then decided to copy our idea but just used the exact VW shape. Ours are polyurethane not rubber and really should out live the life of the vehicle.

We sell so many they did run out from time to time as the factory just couldn't produce them quick enough. We've have just paid for an additional mould, so should be able to keep them in stock now. These really should be a no brainer when changing any Transporter spring based suspension.

Back